F1 to be shared by BBC & Sky

Quickbeam 18:23 29 Jul 2011

I think you know what I think of Sky, what do you make of a shared coverage with not all the race live on free to air?

Sky grab

Quickbeam 18:27 29 Jul 2011

As regards F1, it doesn't interest me particularly, but if it's one of the few sports you watch, you'll have to buy a full years subscription at £40 per month to watch less than 10% of their footie orientated output to see what interests you.

When will they wake up to that the fact there are lots of us that will never subscribe to full sports access with an interest in less than 10% of their output?

Quickbeam 18:57 29 Jul 2011

But if F1 is your only sport, that's about all you'll see without a rip off subscription.

TonyV 20:26 29 Jul 2011

It is cash registers all the time. That being the case, I won't be subscribing to Sky. It is very expensive and what's the betting that once you have paid the "joining fee", you will then be charged extra for "special" events. No thanks, I won't be lining the pockets of the likes of Ecclestone or Murdoch. I doubt there will be any real opposition to Murdoch's empire taking on board the whole of BskyB, never mind the fit for purpose edict!

TonyV

polish 20:37 29 Jul 2011

i have watched f1 since 1992 and that may well now end do not want to pay sky subscription just to watch f1 as i do not watch other sport. also it seems sky will have all of the major sporting events soon which seems to be a monoply some people cant afford sky others on principle will not subscribe i have virgin media so could watch.

morddwyd 20:49 29 Jul 2011

There are two sides to every story.

I have for some time been the victim of the opposite.

For many years MotoGP was broadcast live, via Eurosport, on Sky.

A few years ago the live franchise went to the BBC, who not only have such an inane commentary team that I get to screaming pitch and turn the sound off, but they sometimes don't show it live anyway, except "under the red button".

I don't watch F1, and I have sympathy for those who are about to lose it, but I hope the BBC economies will go as far as not bidding for the MotoGP contract.

Quickbeam 21:01 29 Jul 2011

So it's not just me that objects to paying a maximum annual subscription for a minimum of viewing.

Today I listened to some of the test match on TMS,, I had a couple of hours of it on the telly in the pub (well it is Friday), and then I watched the C5 highlights. That's a lot of a faff, but the summer test matches are all that Sky have exclusivity on that interest me, I don't do football, and that is the vast majority of Sky Sports output.

It's time for them to look at pay as you watch options whereby you buy your own receiving equipment and pay for how much and what you choose to receive just like PAYG phones became the alternative to the once exclusive contract only option.

There's no reason that we shouldn't have pre-paid view cards, £10, £20, £50 etc, online instant purchases, 30 day stop/start subscriptions or a view 10% of the maximum output for 20% of the full subscription price.

If I felt I was getting value for what I watch, I would buy the UK test matches. But with their like it or lump it, all or nothing attitude, they won't get any of my money.

Al94 21:12 29 Jul 2011

How will the major sponsors react?

bremner 21:47 29 Jul 2011

BSkyB have just announced 2010-11 profits of £1 billion and 10 million subscribers.

They have a very successful business plan with every expectation of more subscribers as a result of their F1 contract.

Can't see them moving to pay as you view anytime soon and why should they want to.

CurlyWhirly 22:29 29 Jul 2011

I'm bitterly disappointed by this decision as I will miss some of the races that aren't covered by the BBC.

Even though the highlights will still be shown it just won't be the same.

I could get Sky again but I packed it in over 5 years ago due to all the repeats etc.

If I did decide to go back to Sky then I might as well transfer my broadband and telephone to them as well to save money.

This is because I'm paying £28.25 to O2 for my broadband and telephone and it would be better value to get all 3 services for just over £30 a month !

Strawballs 22:45 29 Jul 2011

Looks like it's going to be just what the teams are worried about, they want it kept to free to air so their sponsors get the best viewing figures!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Digital humans aren't just possible - they're essential in today's top games

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les meilleures boîtes mails gratuites