Expired road tax disc

Mary_S 11:55 07 Mar 2010

Dear All,
My road expired at the end of december last year, but i recieved my new road tax by the time the old one expired. As i went on holiday in january i did not change the old tax disc to the new one. i came back home the other day, and i forgot that i still had to change the road tax disc. i went for a drive yesturday in the eveing and came back home without any ticket being issued on the car. when i came back home i realised that i sill had to change the tax disc and did so immediately. I did escape a ticket on the road, but im just wondering if a camera picked up my disc and noticed that i had a expired tax disc displayed. Could I be in trouble, or do they check the registration plate to confirm whether i have valid road tax. Please inform me thanks.

spuds 15:34 07 Mar 2010

ronalddonald
You are correct, the police could confiscate the vehicle, but in certain circumstances they could or would inform the DVLA who would contact one of their local contractor's, who would then clamp or 'take to the pound', until the dues are paid.

Forum Editor
There as been a number of successful appeals, and there have also been cases of the judge throwing the cases out of court, due to the incompetence of the DVLA legal teams.

Colin
A tax disc is a complex item nowadays, and nothing like the days of the 'Guinness label'. I have seen tax discs altered, blocked, defaced,off another vehicle, including one that was made from three discs, and very expertly done. That one took a little fathoming, until we realised that there was 12 months in a year and not 14. There have been many other incidents, all worthy of a smile or chuckle.

Mary_S
Forget about it, unless there was other offences committed that you have not mentioned. If you got caught out with a camera, then the DVLA records should show that you have a disc for the vehicle.

OTT_B 16:28 07 Mar 2010

"The cameras won't spot a missing tax disk"

I'm told that the new ANPR cameras cropping up roadside over the country will spot a missing disc, or a disc that has expired or that is not issued to the registration plate on the vehicle.

Shuffty 16:50 07 Mar 2010

You are allowed 5 days grace if you renewed by phone or web this to allow it to reach you by post.

I have just done mine on the web and that is the info i got

oresome 17:03 07 Mar 2010

I wonder if you can display the new tax disc too early?

So as not to forget, I put the new one in place two weeks before the old one expired.

Forum Editor 17:10 07 Mar 2010

It doesn't matter - the expiry date is what's important.

morddwyd 19:56 07 Mar 2010

Not strictly true.

If you had made a SORN, as, for instance, many wimp motorcyclists do for the winter months, and then re-tax from, say, 1st May, you will suffer the full penalty of being untaxed if you are caught on the road, even displaying your new disc, on April 30th or earlier.

canarieslover 20:02 07 Mar 2010

Thanks for the rhread which has reminded me that the tax for my scooter is still sitting on the mantlepiece instead on the vehicle. Must put it on tomorrow.

Forum Editor 22:58 07 Mar 2010

That's a slightly different situation. I was responding to oresome, who has two consecutive tax discs.

Quickbeam 09:13 08 Mar 2010

"I'm told that the new ANPR cameras cropping up roadside over the country will spot a missing disc"
What's the point?

Like an MOT certificate, a tax disc is now only the receipt that you get. The proof of validity is in the DVLA records.

The fact that it remains an offence to not display it, is just an old and unnecessary bit law that was forgotten about and should be repealed. If you ever get pulled over by the police, or VOSA in the case of commercials, they know before they walk over to you whether or not any vehicle document legalities have been infringed.

interzone55 10:51 08 Mar 2010

There's a lot of rubbish talked about ANPR cameras, mainly allowed to spread to keep people in fear.

ANPR cameras are in essence a black and white cameras with a low pass filter, this prevents glare from headlights and only allows infra-red light to hit the sensor. each camera has a high power IR lED lamp with around an 80m range.

All this has the upshot that the camera will only see and register the number plate, it won't be able to see your tax disc.

There is a possibility that a standard street monitoring CCTV camera could have spotted your tax disc, but these cameras don't tend to have any kind of built in analytics processing, so you would be relying on a CCTV control centre operative spotting the invalid disc, also Manchester Council had several parking fines over turned recently because they used street surveillance cameras to capture illegal parking, which was outside the legal remit of the cameras...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?