Excercise for the elderly, I'm just over 70

wee eddie 15:09 18 Jun 2017

All my Yoga Classes have closed for the summer. At the moment I walk down to Morrison's for a daily shop. About 20 minutes each way.

Sometimes I go for a walk, about 90 minutes, as this is all time I have available each day.

For longer trips into town, I cycle.

I could add a swim to that. Say 30 minutes, slow and steady, breast stroke. I don't/can't do the crawl

So, which would be better for me.

An hour, or so, walking or a half hour swim and 2 x 15 minute cycle rides

wee eddie 15:50 18 Jun 2017

I think that my Doctor's a sadist! But she does appear know her onions

amonra 15:56 18 Jun 2017

I think the concensus of medical opinion favours walking. Swimming is excellent but can be a bit strenuous. Try what suits you best, it's your body, you know when you have done too much.

Aitchbee 16:07 18 Jun 2017

I got my sister an exercise DVD for the facial muscles as a birthday present ... it involves looking into a mirror and contorting ones eyes, nose, cheeks, forehead etc. so as to eliminate or even make wrinkles disappear. The lady-presenter is over 80 but she doesn't look a day over 45.

Aitchbee 16:15 18 Jun 2017

rdave13, you'll need to exercise your laughing-gear more often ;o]

Aitchbee 16:30 18 Jun 2017

Lol! Me too.

hssutton 21:40 18 Jun 2017

Wee Eddie. You have a doctor? You're extremely lucky. On Friday I had to make an 80 mile round trip to a walk in health center just to get a prescription. My 'doctor would not give me one without seeing him first, but refused to give me an appointment until mid July.

wee eddie 21:55 18 Jun 2017

HS: I first met my doctor when she was a bump on the front of her mum, who were regulars in my Coffee House, but I actually use whoever the practice suggests. They all appear to know their stuff.

As has been said, I still work, I've got to pay for the Curling somehow. I have a Taxi, a Hackney Cab, which involves sitting around for long periods of time. In winter I play most nights of the week, so I have to find some appropriate physical activity for the summer.

Forum Editor 22:26 18 Jun 2017

Curling - now that's something I have always wanted to try.

wee eddie 08:53 19 Jun 2017

There's a Rink just outside Tunbridge Wells. I'm sure that they'd love to see you come September, when the season starts

rickf 09:16 19 Jun 2017

I envy you. I just do some basic stretching in the morning. Alawys full of good intentions but never really got round to having a regime properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)