euthanasia again

carver 09:43 30 Nov 2011
Answered

I know that this has been talked about before but some times you have to ask your self why this man http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16120107 by law can't ask for help to end his life.

I for one would not like to be in his position and have to be cared for every hour of the day, I know after having a bad accident and having to rely on other people to do certain things for me for 12 months how frustrating and humiliating it can get.

If I had a dog and allowed it to live with the same condition as he has I would be called all sorts of names and most likely prosecuted for it.

Quickbeam 09:52 30 Nov 2011

It's so much easier with a dog, we have different rules and attitudes. I have no problem taking a dog that's in it's final months to the vets for the final time and not wasting money on veterinary care that won't justify the cost. I've known from day one it will come to that.

But it's just not so simple with people that have the power of reason, whether it be the sufferer, or the family. I don't know the answer.

anskyber 11:31 30 Nov 2011

They shoot horses don't they?

anskyber 12:11 30 Nov 2011

alan14

I was thinking more of the outstanding novel/film of the same name, which to quote Anita Sethi,

"Survival is all in the harsh world evoked in Horace McCoy's slim yet thematically weighty 1935 novel set in America's Great Depression. How far a human being will go to stay alive is the question at the heart of the unflinching narrative which draws on the author's own experience as a struggling movie extra, and was made into a 1969 film starring the Oscar-nominated Jane Fonda. Little wonder that book became a favourite among French existentialists."

carver 12:38 30 Nov 2011

alan14 if you think about the reason why horses are put down it is due to several reasons, first one being to try to move a horse that weights the best part of 700- 800 kg, second reason , a horse would have to be in a sling to take it's weight for the better part of 3 months while healing took place.

It's not just due to financial reasons, I have seen people who have spent thousands in vets bills to try and keep their horse alive, me being one of them.

But there does come a time when you can no longer see any animal suffer.

Jameslayer 12:49 30 Nov 2011
Answer

I believe that euthenasia should be legal. It would take a lot of time and effort to make the system as unabusable as possible. Their are other countrys outtheir that allow it so we should look at them and see what we can learn.

spuds 17:15 30 Nov 2011

I could be well and truly be wrong, and no doubt I will soon be corrected, but while we all perhaps understand that euthanasia is classed as illegal in the UK. Why is it that some times we hear about a medical decision of 'Do Not Resuscitate', or that a family, guardian is asked for an approval to the key factor to make a decision about switching off a life support machine?.

Okay we have the 'brain dead' theory, but this as been proven wrong on occassions, as is the child/teenager/adult with hours/minutes to live, and a lot later down the line, that same child/teenager/adult is living a 'normal' life?.

Forum Editor 18:46 30 Nov 2011

"And that's the moral dilemma at the heart of euthanasia. Whose suffering is ended?"

Thank you - that's it in a nutshell.

On the one hand we may take the view that each of us has the absolute right to determine when our physical and/or mental torment has become so unbearable that life is no longer worth living.

On the other hand we may take the view that the wishes of society should transcend those of the individual, and that the people who will be left, grieving, when their loved one has decided to have it all ended. Are those considerations not worthy of being weighed in the balance?

One might say - 'my loved ones wouldn't want to see me suffering, they would understand when I said I wanted to go', but when it came to it, would they really be so ready to agree with that?

When someone is so ill that he or she needs constant care,and family life is effectively in some kind of limbo as a result there are many people who find the work of doing the caring an almost impossible burden to bear. There must be huge numbers of them who, if they were totally honest would admit to thinking, at times, that it might be a release for all concerned if the patient simply slipped away with a little assistance, and that's where the danger lies when it comes to considering legalised euthanasia.

Personally I come down on the side of those who are in favour of euthanasia, but I wouldn't want to be the one to draft the legislation.

john bunyan 19:02 30 Nov 2011

A slightly different slant, but when a patient has been in a coma for (years sometimes) a long time the hospital or patients relatives sometimes refer to a judge for permission to withdraw treatment. Perhaps a similar arrangemet could be applied to those wishing to end their lives in extreme situations. In this way, as well as relatives and two doctor's input, a judge would be in a position to decide whether or not to allow the patient to have his or her wish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Julian Glander recreates your art school experience in quirky video game Art Sqool

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

TV & streaming : comment regarder la Ligue des Champions 2018-2019 ?