Hot Topics

EU Settlement Scheme - settled status

qwbos 00:46 01 Feb 2020

Having a read through this, under "Proof of continuous residence", there's "You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records."

Wouldn't it be nice if those who have come to the UK to live on benefits higher than those in their own country, were directed to the nearest exit? In some cases, benefits are claimed and paid for family members who aren't in the UK,

And under "If you have criminal convictions", "You’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled status if you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime. You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other convictions. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis."

What about repeat minor crime offenders? I'm sure many areas would be glad to see the back of the shoplifting gangs and various other categories of habitual offenders.

Seems like a good opportunity to purge the UK of EU criminals may be missed.

Quickbeam 12:51 02 Feb 2020

This notification just popped up as I was reading Dunk's post.

qwbos 00:46 03 Feb 2020

If they're employed, then someone wants them...

That depends on who's employing them, what they're employed to do, and what they're paid.

If a qualified worker comes here, with a family, but later commits a crime, does his family get deported/lose all benefits etc?

In the case I cited, where the individual's qualifications didn't go beyond an ability to commit crimes, claim benefits, and beg in the streets, which was what he'd been doing on the night of the rape.

He'd been in the UK for a little over a month before he committed the rape. Given his convictions in France, it seems likely that he left a trail of crimes across Europe to finance his trip to benefits heaven. He was jailed for six years.

Can I assume you're happy that the taxpayer will be picking up the bill for him and his wife and two children for the next six years?

We've all seen 'documentaries' -and they can be very selective - I would need actual evidence that the migrant 'problem' is as bad as you seem to imply.

The documentary I cited was on a UK terrestrial channel. Which, I can't remember. It wasn't sensational. It was low key, matter of fact, and illustrated a problem that's far from unusual. I suspect the only evidence that you'd find credible is that which plays to your prejudices.

I'll remind you of my final sentence.

What you also have to bear in mind is that the vast majority of honest law abiding EU migrants would be delighted to see their dodgy countrymen ejected, as they frequently and up being tarred with the same brush.

I suppose you disagree with that as well.

Is Farage your mentor?

You really need to grow up. This sort of remainer nonsense accusing anyone who voted to leave the EU of being racist is pathetic.

qwbos 00:32 05 Feb 2020

Dunk

This is the documentary I was referring to. It was repeated last night. The Romanian flits back and forth between UK & Romania, on one occasion, bringing his latest sprog in order to top up his benefits. His "earnings" from scrap metal are below the tax threshold.

The Polish woman was vilified in her local Polish newspaper for being a scrounger.

The synopsis

Immigrants who claim welfare to support children who live back in their home countries. Self-employed scrap-metal collector and father-of-three Ion came to the UK at the start of 2014 and estimates he gets £1,200 in benefits a month, and is spending virtually all of it renovating his family home back in rural Romania. Evita Kossmann lives in Warsaw and gets around £220 a month in British benefits for her 10-year-old son Mateusz because her husband Sebastian resides and works in Bristol

Old Deuteronomy 10:48 07 Feb 2020

You really need to grow up. This sort of remainer nonsense accusing anyone who voted to leave the EU of being racist is pathetic.

They used to say swearing was the last resort of the ignorant, how things have changed since the referendum.

wee eddie 13:15 07 Feb 2020

Benefits Tourism is it's formal Name

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans