EU Leaders great immigrant/refugee catch 22...

Quickbeam 23:01 02 Sep 2015

Having won the election on the promise of curbing immigration down to the tens of thousands amongst other things, I presume that is why he's being attacked by the rest of the European leaders on being reluctant to open the door any wider.

If vast numbers are admitted during this government term, he'll lose the next election for the Tories.

We also have the EU Grand President Merkel threatening to put the blocks under any EU reform negotiations if he doesn't cow tow to the EU line. But Merkel's catch 22 is the dilemma that if she's seen to be pressuring us with an EU referendum looming in the UK, she'll push us towards an out result, which the EU doesn't want.

For most of the day I've heard the Cameron line that we simply can't cure the problem by admitting many hundreds of thousands more and we need to solve the problem by stabilising the Middle east. Only when I got home and saw him say that on the TV did I see his other unspoken dilemma in his manner, we'll soon need to commit to another war involving ground troops to make the region safe for the population to stay put.

I wouldn't like to be in his shoes this week.

Forum Editor 09:41 05 Sep 2015

Quickbeam

"I can only think that they have had their eyes and minds closed to reality..."

Religious fervour tends to have that effect. People who are in the grip of it seem to lose the ability to question, and will readily believe that 'teachings' which were written centuries ago are to be interpreted literally in a modern world. Blind adherence of this nature is very often linked to poor educational standards, and indoctrination from an early age - young, poorly educated people are more inclined to accept extremist ideologies, and to act upon them.

spuds 09:43 05 Sep 2015

"I can only think that they have had their eyes and minds closed to reality for the last two years or so."

Some of these people are fully aware about the realities, and possibly more that people may think or assume, either by their own kin telling them, or all the vast amount of media news that is floating about. They are living the reality on a daily basis perhaps, when outsiders are not, who are possibly taking their news from the comfort of an armchair.

Yet again there was another television broadcast last evening on ITV Tonight programme called "Breaking into Britain". A number of people were interviewed, and that included those personally involved and also the usual 'do-gooders', who seemed to insist that there is an open armed policy, and the UK should take more.

One thing that mainly came out of that programme, was the role of 'people smugglers' and how they were making vast fortunes, for doing very little. And especially were the lives and safety of other were concerned, young or old. Even Cameron appeared to admit that there is serious problem there, and in the case of Syria, he was putting the blame entirely on Bashar al-Assad. Yet what role as the UK provided in previous support of Assad and his late father. I would suggest the very same role they took with Muammar Gaddafi and Saddah Hussein when they were in power, and running a far more stable country that what is now.

For those that seen yesterday evenings programme, there was a case of one young male who wanted to get to London, because his brother was settled here. Later in the programme, it showed this same individual with his brother in London, because his family back in his homeland had raised the £1200 the peoples smugglers wanted.For nothing more it would seem, a trip from France to the UK.

Dragon_Heart 00:04 08 Sep 2015

I see the latest fig for the number of immigration from Syria has risen from 4000 to 10000 and that the bill for housing will be met by redirecting money earmarked for overseas aid. Yet I also read in the news today one county council was looking at cutting another £40 million of services onto of the £87 million already cut. It has warned services for vulnerable adults and children may be cut, and NO it's not a Labour lead council.

I also see Germany has accepted that the influx of the immigrant's "will change the country forever" . With each new immigrant a part of each countries individuality is chipped away.

Forum Editor 09:23 08 Sep 2015

"Yet I also read in the news today one county council was looking at cutting another £40 million of services onto of the £87 million already cut. It has warned services for vulnerable adults and children may be cut, and NO it's not a Labour lead council."

What has that got to do with immigration?

"With each new immigrant a part of each countries individuality is chipped away."

That's your opinion is it? If it's true, all of this country's individuality must have been chipped away centuries ago, when immigration figures were much higher in terms of percentage of population that they are today. Every single indigenous Brit has some foreign blood running through his/her veins.

Ungus 10:05 08 Sep 2015

Having helped create a hellish mess in the middle east it appears some in the government want to get involved again do we not learn from our mistakes. The refugee problemm is a problem for the whole of Europe to solve after all we are all Europeans and it is in all our interests. You would have to be some kind of monster not to have sympathy with most of those fleeing these places of conflict as none of us have any idea of what it must be like to be bombed by your so called friend and enemies alike. Most people in these counties are just the same as you and me they want peace and prosperity to raise there families and most would not want to come to Europe if they had that. The easy answers are to close the borders send in the troops and use more and more weaponry to kill more and more of the innocent people and children caught up in this. I have no solution to offer but as a first step we have to take in as many refugees as we can in the first instance to alleviate the suffering, when you see these people crowding on to trains in desperation you cant help think of a time in Europe that was just the same and it makes me for one feel a little bit ashamed for those who have no room in their hearts for compassion for their fellow man. The words of Robert Burns comes to mind " A mans a man for aw that"

spuds 11:24 08 Sep 2015

"I have no solution to offer but as a first step we have to take in as many refugees as we can in the first instance to alleviate the suffering,"

Surely the solution starts with the despots who are running the countries, these people are fleeing from. And once again I will repeat what I have stated a number of times in the past.

Get all the worlds nations together, and go from there, using force if necessary, on the despots causing all the harm. The United Nations was set up for this reason, not as a an expensive talking shop, with to many shrinking violets making rather silly speeches.

Another point worth consideration, is where is all the fighting aid coming from. Perhaps if there was a blockage on that, there might be some hope. But supplying weapons and services to fight a war, can be extremely profitable. Even here in the UK we have been known to supply vast amounts of hardware and expertise. So I wonder how many people have even considered that!.

People should be able to stay in their country of birth, if they so wish. It is not the duty of other overcrowded countries to take on the burden of mass immigration, if that is the correct word.

Quickbeam 12:01 08 Sep 2015

There is a fair bit of criticism of the wealthy Gulf states that are of the same culture not doing much in the way of helping refugees.

They of all countries have the most to lose if after a decade or two of rogue states on their doorsteps find that the rogue influences creep into these countries and undermine their own wealthy lifestyles.

And in the meantime the European leaders don't want to risk being branded a Blairite war criminal in 20 years by those blessed with hindsight.

We can't do anything about stabilising Syria with high profile remote drone strikes, only a UN ground force can achieve that.

Well, at least until the next would be Saladin comes to the fore...

kad292 15:31 08 Sep 2015

If you go to war against despots then surely you must go to war against the causes of despotism including warring against their foreign supporters whose policies, be they political,economical or religious,are a key element in this present crisis.

In many failed states the UN has ,by virtue of it's own problems of corruption with UN troops and civilian workers being involved in criminal acts including alleged trafficking and child abuse, little or no credibility.

Dragon_Heart 21:54 08 Sep 2015

FE "What has that got to do with immigration?"

I would have thought that was very simple ...... whilst the UK can't afford to maintain or even improve it's standard of living, especially towards the less fortunate or less healthy members of our society we still manage to find 'spare' money to help complete strangers.

FE "That's your opinion is it?" Well yes because I wrote it "

FE "If it's true, all of this country's individuality must have been chipped away centuries ago, when immigration figures were much higher in terms of percentage of population that they are today." ALL ? I never said that you did. Within a few generations from now the mix of various 'outside' influences on our core culture will be dissolved into one new mix. That may be a good or a bad thing but looking at history as you have done all I see is that whenever humanity solves one problem it creates another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Razer Blade Pro 17 review

Best Graphic Design Books

HomePod 2, HomePod mini release date, rumours, price & specs

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs