EU Leaders great immigrant/refugee catch 22...

Quickbeam 23:01 02 Sep 2015

Having won the election on the promise of curbing immigration down to the tens of thousands amongst other things, I presume that is why he's being attacked by the rest of the European leaders on being reluctant to open the door any wider.

If vast numbers are admitted during this government term, he'll lose the next election for the Tories.

We also have the EU Grand President Merkel threatening to put the blocks under any EU reform negotiations if he doesn't cow tow to the EU line. But Merkel's catch 22 is the dilemma that if she's seen to be pressuring us with an EU referendum looming in the UK, she'll push us towards an out result, which the EU doesn't want.

For most of the day I've heard the Cameron line that we simply can't cure the problem by admitting many hundreds of thousands more and we need to solve the problem by stabilising the Middle east. Only when I got home and saw him say that on the TV did I see his other unspoken dilemma in his manner, we'll soon need to commit to another war involving ground troops to make the region safe for the population to stay put.

I wouldn't like to be in his shoes this week.

Govan1x 23:10 02 Sep 2015

Think he is on a hiding to nothing as it does not matter what way he goes he cannot win.

Goes with the job I suppose.

Forum Editor 07:52 03 Sep 2015

"....we need to solve the problem by stabilising the Middle east."

That's the truth of the matter, and it has been so for many, many years. The other truth is that nobody has ever managed to achieve it, and there's no sign of anyone doing so in the foreseeable future.

spuds 09:08 03 Sep 2015

"we need to solve the problem by stabilising the Middle east."

Like I have stated a number of times in the past, the peoples's of that region have no interest whatsoever on how the so called 'super-powers' think or want. They have their own historic set of rules and disciplines, and nobody is going to change that. Or at least certainly not in my lifetime.

By all means, try to use force, but where as that got us, and especially here in the UK, but deeper in debt, with fighting wars we know nothing about, or it would seem like that.In fact it as alienated people and perhaps that includes the young and probably highly educated, or are 2nd/4th generation here in the UK.

Further to that, I also repeat myself about the role of the UN, and how that is suppose to be the mediation point of any of the world-wide conflicts. Yet can anyone point me to any one incident that the UN actually saved the day, and prevented a disaster happening, if the countries involved didn't want to play ball.

Recently, the UK media and especially television have been informing the public on increasing 'illegal' immigrant situation, and some very surprising fact are being viewed, yet the UK seem to be gateway to heaven, and perhaps we all need to ask ourselves why?.

Quickbeam 09:17 03 Sep 2015

I don't see doing nothing militarily is an option.

If the UN doesn't intervene directly in Syria and a few more of the world's unstable countries, we risk the entire populations of several countries trying to enter Europe, and that will destabilise European lifestyles. Which in turn will cause home civil unrest, and create a rise in right wing extremism. Cameron is right, the problem has to be solved at the source.

Call that selfish if you wish, but we can't have several countries that become no-go, no-interferance zones that are left to extremists to strengthen in and then to spread further afield. Sooner or later we're going to have to become involved in an armed conflict again to civilise the Middle east.

sunnystaines 09:29 03 Sep 2015

the whole system is wrong camps should be set up in the first safe place they enter and not allowed to roam around europe causing havoc. once in these camps they can apply for refuge in other states. if accepted once their home countries war is over they should be returned unless they are a benefit to the host nation with their skills etc. those that get in via dodgy means from calais once caught should be returned there to discourage others, by accepting them giving them homes and benefits etc it is just attracting more. Europe must wake up to the fact there is a limit to how many we can take in and support.

spuds 09:35 03 Sep 2015

"If the UN doesn't intervene directly in Syria and a few more of the world's unstable countries,"

My comment at 09.08 AM: "Further to that, I also repeat myself about the role of the UN, and how that is suppose to be the mediation point of any of the world-wide conflicts. Yet can anyone point me to any one incident that the UN actually saved the day, and prevented a disaster happening, if the countries involved didn't want to play ball."

In the case of Syria, the UN should have dealt with this, at the very beginning, like they should have done in other hot-spots around the globe. But did they, and the evidence is always there to see, on the large amount of casualties, many of those are innocent bystanders, just trying to eek out a living for their own families.

spuds 09:37 03 Sep 2015

sunnystaines

That is already happening, but it just isn't working.

kad292 11:45 03 Sep 2015

Seems to me that the UN is a talking shop only with them having to rely on member states for resources they are unwilling to give.Reminds me so much of that debacle that was the League of Nations, it has ended up the same ineffectual organisation the League became,intentionally because of France and England.

Russia holds the Security Council presidency this month and are looking for a debate about this and other issues so,no doubt,a resolution will be formulated but what ,if any,action will ensue is anyone's guess.

Flak999 15:42 03 Sep 2015

This limp wristed nauseating sentimental claptrap from people on the left is laughable frankly! Migrants have been dying by the boatload in the med for months, now just because a journalist has captured a shocking picture of a child dead on a Turkish beach we are all supposed to fling open the gates and welcome the hoards of human flotsam to the shores of one of the most densely populated countries in Europe without a care!

The person responsible for that childs death was the parent that decided to leave the safe haven of Turkey which was the first country these people sought assylum in and get in a leaky rubber dingy and try to cross the sea to Greece! There was no need for them to have risked their lives in this way, they had left Syria and were safely in Turkey. Their children died because of the reckless actions of their own parents!

johndrew 16:07 03 Sep 2015

It would appear to me that it is only Hungary that is attempting to apply the rules agreed in the Shengen Treaty (by those counties signed up to it) by requiring registration of those wanting asylum to register - it should have been the first safe country but in many cases that was Greece. Germany has caused greater problems by effectively offering an open door to all and ignored the need of a Shengen Visa to be held by those travelling.

As a result of these recent events and the EU helping the so called people smugglers/traffickers by picking up migrants in the Mediterranean and transporting them to Europe, we are faced with what effectively is an invasion of people who are taking severe risks which inevitably will, in some cases, result in fatalities.

The photograph of the drowned child is being used as a form of emotional blackmail but should be a warning to all those taking the risks. They have plenty of electronic communications and use these for their own ends rather than taking note of the loss of life continuously present for many months.

Surely it is time for the EU to take control. The mandarins in Brussels appear to be happy to let a situation continue which must end in disaster rather than taking the difficult route of applying the rules agreed. Even Europe is not capable of absorbing the entire population of Syria or its equivalent in numbers from the various countries from which these people are travelling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Women creative grads – this is how you fix the industry

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Comment diminuer le buffering sur Kodi ?