Ending up with nasties on your computer or laptop!.

spuds 11:48 20 Sep 2014
Answered

The computing public are constantly being told to beware of what you are downloading, and 'all' security measures must be in place.

Having downloaded in a package a 'nastie' (Insta Share Ads) from what I would once regarded a reputable download website (tuocows), got me thinking if those who infect our computers are getting more savvy, or whether we are getting more sloppy.

What's your views?.

Would mention that Insta Share Ads seems to take over the computer/laptops etc with survey advertisement offering free gifts. It can also change content displays. What was surprising with this, is that the surveys appear to come from the websites which you are visiting, which might easily lead to a false stage of security or trust (ie PCAdvisor/Ebay etc)

carver 09:53 23 Sep 2014

Pine Man whoever that "expert" was didn't know his virus from his malware, they are both basically the same and the two words mean the same thing.

The word malware (malicious software) describes any piece of code designed to infect your computer (or mobile device) and make it do things that you don't want it to do, such as mass-mail spam or steal your banking passwords. Trojans, worms, and rootkits are all types of malware.

And so is a virus, in its most technically-correct meaning. A virus is malicious code that spreads by infecting existing files, similar to the way a biological virus spreads by infecting living cells.

A virus doesn't have to destroy your PC, that is self defeating in this day and age.

BillSers 11:02 23 Sep 2014

These are the specific interpretations of the various malwares:

Classes of Malicious Software

Two of the most common types of malware are viruses and worms. These types of programs are able to self-replicate and can spread copies of themselves, which might even be modified copies. To be classified as a virus or worm, malware must have the ability to propagate. The difference is that a worm operates more or less independently of other files, whereas a virus depends on a host program to spread itself. These and other classes of malicious software are described below.

Viruses

A computer virus is a type of malware that propagates by inserting a copy of itself into and becoming part of another program. It spreads from one computer to another, leaving infections as it travels. Viruses can range in severity from causing mildly annoying effects to damaging data or software and causing denial-of-service (DoS) conditions. Almost all viruses are attached to an executable file, which means the virus may exist on a system but will not be active or able to spread until a user runs or opens the malicious host file or program. When the host code is executed, the viral code is executed as well. Normally, the host program keeps functioning after it is infected by the virus. However, some viruses overwrite other programs with copies of themselves, which destroys the host program altogether. Viruses spread when the software or document they are attached to is transferred from one computer to another using the network, a disk, file sharing, or infected e-mail attachments. Worms

Computer worms are similar to viruses in that they replicate functional copies of themselves and can cause the same type of damage. In contrast to viruses, which require the spreading of an infected host file, worms are standalone software and do not require a host program or human help to propagate. To spread, worms either exploit a vulnerability on the target system or use some kind of social engineering to trick users into executing them. A worm enters a computer through a vulnerability in the system and takes advantage of file-transport or information-transport features on the system, allowing it to travel unaided. Trojans

A Trojan is another type of malware named after the wooden horse the Greeks used to infiltrate Troy. It is a harmful piece of software that looks legitimate. Users are typically tricked into loading and executing it on their systems. After it is activated, it can achieve any number of attacks on the host, from irritating the user (popping up windows or changing desktops) to damaging the host (deleting files, stealing data, or activating and spreading other malware, such as viruses). Trojans are also known to create back doors to give malicious users access to the system.

carver 11:10 23 Sep 2014

I'm glad you typed that out, would have took me all day.

wee eddie 11:45 23 Sep 2014

Bill if, by chance, that is someone else's work. It would be good manners to give the author an attribution.

If it is your own, congratulations on a very well written piece.

john bunyan 11:58 23 Sep 2014

wee eddie

This has a familiar ring- easier to have posted a link, Bill.

Viruses etc

Pine Man 12:59 23 Sep 2014

I could post similar diatribes arguing exactly the opposite but will bow to, what appears to be, your superior knowledge BUT add that with no additional anti virus or anti malware programs installed on my mac other than the o/s nothing has affected it - if only I could say the same for my wives PC with AV and anti malware installed;-)

Pine Man 13:00 23 Sep 2014

oops I put wives - honestly I've only got one!!!

carver 15:00 23 Sep 2014

Pine Man it's going back about 3 years now but a friend bought his daughter an iMac and cost him close to £2000 and within a month she had managed to get it infected with some software that shut it down unless he paid up.

It isn't always the computer that's at fault it's some times just down to who operates it.

Pine Man 15:55 23 Sep 2014

The major problem, as I see it, is that Microsoft has to try and develop operating systems that are fit for any PC regardless of who built it or how it was built. Windows has to fit everything and do it's best to work.

Apple develop operating systems that contain all the necessary AV and anti malware for use on the computers that only they have built.

As a matter of interest Apple are releasing a new operating system next month and it's completely free as was the last one two years ago.

Joseph Kerr 01:51 24 Sep 2014

Yes, Pine Man, and PCA are suggesting the next MS OS will be very cheap, though I have my doubts about it being any cheaper than any previous MS OS.

Carver, surely there is something for nasties that want to make you pay up, such as a system restore? I think I got rid of one a while ago through that method.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?