The end of P2P networks in the UK?

CurlyWhirly 20:56 14 Oct 2004

click here

I don't use P2P networks anymore due to all the Malware that you can get off them not to mention the illegal act of using them!
I haven't used P2P for over 12 months but I am just curious as to the legal position of my ISP (AOL) as even though it is an American company would they be legally bound to UK law as mentioned in my link?

CurlyWhirly 21:06 14 Oct 2004

But surely this will make people in the UK think TWICE before using P2P?

CurlyWhirly 21:53 14 Oct 2004

I agree 100% with you but let's be honest over 90% of people who use P2P networks use them to download illegal copyrighted material.
I know as I used to use it but no more.

CurlyWhirly 21:57 14 Oct 2004

I agree with your comment.
The only way I can see in keeping P2P networks LEGAL is by DRM (Digital Rights Management)

CurlyWhirly 22:25 14 Oct 2004

Hi. Where do you get this free music from?

Forum Editor 00:31 15 Oct 2004

about "lovers of real music preserving the secret." Is just what we don't need here.
It's an interesting aspect of human nature that leads certain people or groups of people to the conclusion that they, and only they have "the secret", and that the rest of us poor souls are condemned to a living hell of ignorance and mediocrity. I can recall a time when Elvis Presley was considered "the latest pop dross" by many people, and at Woodstock (yes, I'm that old) I saw and heard others of the pop dross ilk - like Joe Cocker and Jimmi Hendrix. Remember those pop-drossers? We loved 'em. The Woodstock toilet facilities may have been a tad basic, but the music was great. I didn't have 'the secret' then, any more than I do now, and I'm certainly not arrogant enough to pretend otherwise.

Everything's relative, and individual styles in music are to be respected, not treated with derision. Let's have no more drivel about ancient ones, flash front lies, wedding dresses and beamers - none of them are remotely relative to the point of the thread.

CurlyWhirly 14:15 15 Oct 2004

Check out the blogs,the forums, check out sharingthegroove, ftp, the internet archive, find the old internet, the ancient one that squats beneath the glossy flash front lie.

I am sorry but I haven't got a clue to what you are saying!
Regards.

CurlyWhirly 14:17 15 Oct 2004

Before I close this thread does anyone know the legal side of (say) AOL who is an American company and are they bound to UK law as described in my first post's link?
Just curious.

CurlyWhirly 14:37 15 Oct 2004

Cheers my query is answered.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4