Ebay purchase cancelled money refunded

Ken Thesparky 21:45 15 Mar 2019

Can someone explain how this happens. I purchased an item on eBay and paid via PayPal.The next day I received an email from eBay stating that the sellers site had been compromised by a third party and the item had been removed from sale and if I had already paid I had to claim my money back via eBay's procedure.This I did and within 10 minutes my case was reviewed and the money returned.My question is how could a third party offer this item and get the money without the genuine sellers permission.It all seems strange.

qwbos 00:30 16 Mar 2019

I saw this on another forum recently. If true, it speaks volumes about eBay security.

A user has just been able to change one of my active listings to there own PayPal so that when a user buys the item they get paid. This was done by literally going on eBay live chat and quoting the item number and eBay username. Nothing else. Then when my item sold and it said payment completed it was sent to an account I didn’t recognise. I can of course cancel the transaction and refund without logging in to the unknown PayPal. However I’d assume the scammer has already moved the money

Another poster said

Someone listed on my account new latest Mac . I didn't see it , as have over 50 items. When people start to bombard me with messages , because it was cheap ( around £1000) I found out and contact ebay. We changed my personal details, but...on my other items I likely spotted on time were different PayPal address, where to make a payment after item sold. Good nothing happened yet , I ended all my listing and relisted with my PayPal email. I am not on social media and don't have Facebook or Twitter or anything like this. So how they do it ?

So you may have bid for a phantom item with payment going to a scammer's account.

morddwyd 09:58 16 Mar 2019

I have been caught out so many times on eBay that I never use them unless the item is not available elsewhere. Their security in my opinion, is no of the best.

Your post is a good example of why you should use PayPal where available.

I have only once been defrauded via PayPal (so far!), the usual small donation to a charity.

I noticed it at 10.30 pm on a Saturday, rang PayPal at 10.10 and the money was back in my account by 10.30.

Old Deuteronomy 11:31 16 Mar 2019

Ken Thesparky

In your particular case it is possible that the seller's own website had lax security.

Old Deuteronomy 11:34 16 Mar 2019

Further to the above: I no longer sell via eBay, like morddwyd I only buy items I cannot find elsewhere and, in any event, only buy low value items.

Quickbeam 16:12 16 Mar 2019

Never had a problem in 10+ years.

wee eddie 16:33 16 Mar 2019

I have yet to have a problem with eBay.

Free delivery example - Ordered Thursday mid-afternoon - Delivered this morning (Saturday) morning

morddwyd 19:22 16 Mar 2019

I guess we speak as we find.

my first transaction with them was a good twenty years ago,, and was an good, old fashioned individual auction with a guy in the States.

Since then I have seen it gradually go downhill. When I finally decided not to make it my first stop I was having trouble with two in every five transactions.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)