Hot Topics

A driving instructor shoulld know better

bumpkin 18:40 06 Oct 2015

Taking a grandchild to school this morning and someone came round a bend in a narrow lane on the wrong side while overtaking a cyclist. Forced me into a emergency stop then bang off with my mirror. They did not stop but it happened so quickly I only remember that it had the driving instructor sign on the roof.

muddypaws 19:15 06 Oct 2015

I recently bought a video camera for the car windscreen just for such incidents. About 5x5 cms. Records to micro sd in HD.

bumpkin 20:29 06 Oct 2015

I have one but not in the car at the time, in my other (sods law) Dont really know if it would have been much help anyway.

A difficult situation really I had been forced to stop before He/she hit me. They could not stop instantly and we were in a narrow lane both with traffic behing us, I had to drive a couple of hundred yards for a safe pull in or be blocking the road. Nowhere to reasonably turn round and who will do so? both of you possibly. Not really sure what one is supposed to do. Never mind just another £200 up the swanee:-)

QuizMan 22:21 06 Oct 2015

I was out running recently had a "will he/won't he?" moment at a road junction, not being sure if the driver would let me cross. It was a driving instructor on his mobile phone. I told him he should know better. All I got in return was a puzzled stare.

Govan1x 22:42 06 Oct 2015

You need a dash cam that might not have shown the damage to the car but it would have got his number plate and a look at who was behind the wheel.

onthelimit1 08:58 07 Oct 2015

Govan1x - he did say he has a cam but was in his other car

spuds 10:37 07 Oct 2015

Report the incident to the police, at least you will get a reference number should you wish to make a claim.

I had a similar incident a few years back, but that time it was a taxi in a mad rush to get somewhere. Luckily the wing mirror was spring loaded, and this prevented any serious damage.

Regarding driving instructor's, then they should know far better, but alas some of them do not, so I suspect its all down to human nature!.

HondaMan 09:30 08 Oct 2015

Some driving instructors are among the worst offenders for lawlessness, especially when they do not have a pupil in the car. The attitude seems to be, "I am an instructor, so I know best". Some of them really do not deserve to be allowed on the road, never mind teach others. (Rant over)

Dragon_Heart 23:09 08 Oct 2015

Driving instructors should never be 'off duty' especially when driving their plated vehicle.

Do they still have to take the IAM test ?

I was once riding my motorbike along a busy high street when I noted the driving instructor car in front. He started away from traffic lights on amber, spent half of the time riding the white line, failed to stop at a zebra crossing and overshot the give way or stop lines. AS we moved out into the country side he almost hit a fellow motorcyclist by being on the wrong side of the road. The driver had to stop for a tractor so I rode up along side the drivers window and tapped on the window. I shouted to the passenger why he was not making the learner drive in a safe manner .... he pointed at the driver and said "he's the driving instructor". I reported him to the police, apparently it was not the first time he had been reported.

spuds 10:50 09 Oct 2015

Its no excuse, but being a driving instructor can be a very stressful job. The hours are usually to suit the clients, which can make it less rewarding, especially if you are a franchisee. Then the clients might have their oddities, which no matter how hard you try, they will never change their ways, and the list can be endless to the point "is it worth it".

That's no excuse though, for damaging someone else's vehicle and just driving off. Assuming that the driver of the vehicle actually knew they had been involved with a collision.

BT 17:38 09 Oct 2015

When my son was learning to drive a few years ago, I was amazed by some of the things he was being taught, which would have invoked the dreaded Dual Controls when I was learning to drive in the '70s. It explains a lot of what I see younger drivers doing these days which I would never dream of doing.

I've also seen who I presume to be Driving Instructors doing things that DIs really shouldn't be doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans