Double glazed conservatory roof panels.

hssutton 20:33 04 Mar 2017

My son has just phoned me asking for advice. He went into his conservatory to find it covered in pieces of glass, the inner sheet of the glass roof had shattered. extremely puzzled has to why the outer sheet is still intact. Any suggestions has to what has happened.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 04 Mar 2017

At a guess faulty sheet and high temperature gradient across the two panels - cold outside hot inside.

Either that or someone was tossing pancakes in there and won't own up :0)

hssutton 21:04 04 Mar 2017

I suggested stress by changing temperatures, but at the time no one was in the house, however the panels have been in place for several years. As for tossing pancakes no one at home :)

Belatucadrus 21:07 04 Mar 2017

A little light reading :-

Click Here

Seems it's the right time of year and Fruit Bat /\0/\s Temperature gradient seems to be a fundamental part of it, though there appear to be any number of possible additional factors.

bumpkin 21:53 04 Mar 2017

It is not that uncommon, more likely with cheaper units which are often used for conservatory roofs for cost reasons. Problem is that they are probably the most vulnerable for the reasons mentioned.

hssutton 10:10 05 Mar 2017

Belatucadrus many thanks for the link, very interesting reading, will pass it on to my son. Fortunately no one was in the conservatory at the time.

Govan1x 10:11 05 Mar 2017

Brother in law put a new light fitting up on his new conservatory it it was full of dangling glass parts and fairly heavy. I did say to him is that not to heavy for a conservatory as they are only made of plastic.

Sure enough the first day of heavy rain there was a puddle on the floor and water dripping of his new light fitting.

Has your son got any heavy type fittings on his conservatory that may add pressure to other parts of the roof.

My theory and only mine so probably wrong. But downward pressure on the glass would probably result on the bottom sheet of glass breaking first. And upward pressure would probably cause the top pane of glass to break first.

Or possibly toughened glass on the Top may stop that breaking so easy.

Maybe something falling of the roof of the house hits the toughened glass and bounces off but the vibration cracks and breaks the bottom part.

Did your son ever find out what actually caused it to break.

hssutton 10:16 05 Mar 2017

Update. Have just been on the phone to my son. It certainly appears to be a temperature problem, as he informs me the conservatory door was left open and he switched on his heating as he was on his way home.

Cymro. 10:51 05 Mar 2017

Sorry I have no answer to your problem but it is good to know that a son somewhere still phones his father for advice.

hssutton 11:50 05 Mar 2017

Cymro. Sorry I missed your post. the major difference between the two conservatories is my son has a glass roof not polycarbonate and no there are no fittings of any discription attached the the roofing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Nvidia’s Gaugan tech turns simple colour blocks into realistic landscapes

New AirPods 2 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique