Does a new build house need a back/bottom fence?

Brumas 17:32 26 Jun 2016
Answered

I suppose only by ringing the Planning department/Land registry will I know for sure but I thought I might ask in case other members have been in a similar situation.

Our bungalow has a burn at the foot of our back garden and across the burn there is a newly built house, which has been for sale for four or five months, and that house does not not have a bottom fence.

Fortunately by judicious planning I have established quite a good hawthorn hedge (only four foot high mind) on my side. This combined with the self seeded saplings on the other side of the burn affords some privacy but it is not 100% and I can see their backdoor quite plainly and, of course, they can see mine! I do not like my privacy violated as it were.

What attracted us to this bungalow in the first place was because across the burn, behind a straggle of trees was an old fashioned country garage stretching across three house widths - complete privacy. When they pulled it down they also cut down the trees which fortunately have come away again.

Getting to the point, does a newly built property, which faces an established dwelling need, by law, to have a back fence?

I would have thought it does as their garden runs down to the burn, as mine does!

Brumas 21:50 27 Jun 2016

bumpkin, neither had I until we moved here, we used the word beck in Hull.

lotvic 22:05 27 Jun 2016

A stream of running water by any other name... "a stream may be referred to as a branch, brook, beck, burn, creek, crick, ghyll, gill, kill, lick, mill race, race, rill, river, syke, bayou, rivulet, streamage, wash, run, or runnel." and so on click here

lotvic 22:15 27 Jun 2016

I found a useful guide on the Wrexham area website Local Planning Guidance Notes No 21 - Space Around Dwellings: click here

Where two habitable rooms face each other such that direct overlooking is physically possible, the windows should be 22 metres apart

Appropriate screening with hedges, walls or fencing may be necessary to ensure that the garden space is not overlooked from surrounding houses or gardens.

bumpkin 22:15 27 Jun 2016

OK, so if it is a mill race why not say so:-)

Brumas 22:39 27 Jun 2016

lotvic, thanks for that, at least now if the duty planning officer deigns to ring I will have some facts to go on with.

Brumas 22:40 27 Jun 2016

bumpkin, mill race - who won? I'll get my hat ;o}

bumpkin 22:57 27 Jun 2016

* who won? *

Not you from what you have said ;o}

Brumas 23:02 27 Jun 2016

bumpkin, hoping the planning officer can throw some light onto the problem, will have to wait and see.

Brumas 15:02 28 Jun 2016

Spoken to the Planning Officer and was told it all depended on what was stipulated in the planning application. I have applied for a copy to be made online and was told there is a backlog and it could take up to 28 days!

Back fences could also be taken down, if already erected (which is a bummer) by the person who bought the property!

More trees needed methinks!!

Forum Editor 17:42 28 Jun 2016

"I have applied for a copy to be made online and was told there is a backlog and it could take up to 28 days!"

Does your local authority not have an online planning portal? Most do, and you are able to view full details of planning consents, including all the drawings, application forms, and letters, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G