Do you remember your first?

[DELETED] 21:46 27 Jul 2004

Computer.
Many years ago I wanted to get rid of some wheel ramps and trolly jacks. The chap who came to see them said he did;nt have much money so would I be prepared to do a swop for a computer he had. I thought why not,I have got to learn sometime. After a lot of hard work and cursing I somehow managed to put it together .switched on , dreadful smell, really really dreadful smell. Took a screw driver to it and found it covered inside in white dust. Cleaned it all out worked perfectly, spent many happy years with it. Upgrading etc, etc. recently ran into the chap who it belonged to.
White dust . he had the computer in his workshop. His job was carving headstones.

I wonder how many other members remember their first?

Shorty 14:35 28 Jul 2004

I remember going into WH Smith's and seeing the first Spectrum's working. Soon worked out how to use basic and leave rude words scrolling across the screen. As for my actual first computer it was an Atari ST, ahh the memories.

[DELETED] 16:15 28 Jul 2004

then procession from Husky -IMB XT with 5 1/2" floppy and 20MB (still in atic - any collectors out there =offers!!??) - 386 -486 -233mmx (now my backup)Now siemens 2600
But like cars the old ones I tinkered with - new ones leave well alone ~;)

[DELETED] 16:35 28 Jul 2004

Leaving aside the mainframe at university my first was a Spectrum (still in the loft). Then an Apricot 486, then a Siemens Nixdorf Pii(from Tesco's). Now graduated to home built but still using the Siemens monitor.

[DELETED] 16:49 28 Jul 2004

Word Processor,database and what about Atari's implementation of the b.a.s.i.c programming language on that machine! Anyone for a quick blast on Arkanoid or what?

[DELETED] 20:22 28 Jul 2004

Texas TI994a was one of my first computers.

Supposed to be one of the first 16 bit home computers on the market.

Cost a fortune by today's standard.

Upgrade to a 4mb hard drive was £800.00 notes.

[DELETED] 20:31 28 Jul 2004

Apart from using them at college the first PC I actually owned was so many years ago I don't even want to think about it, an Olivetti 486 running at the phenominal speed of 33mhz with 8mb RAM, what a power machine that was, or so I thought at the time. God thinking about this makes me feel so old, look at what you can get now for the same money, the PC if I recall correctly cost me £1000 and thats not even taking into account that £1000 then would buy significantly more than it would now.

[DELETED] 21:27 28 Jul 2004

First PC I used was called an Acorn.

First Home PC is downstairs! It's almost 5yrs old and running XP Pro.

Charence

[DELETED] 22:30 28 Jul 2004

First computer I ever used was a ZX80 at the Science Museum in London (I think). It asked me to type in my name, which I did, and then after a pause it would say 'Hello Dan' - marvellous! I spent hours on it.

First I owned was a Commodore 16, then went on to Tatung Einstein and Amiga 500 before becoming one of the PC brigade. Used loads at college too, including a Prime (yuk!). Of all of these the Amiga is my favourite...I'm getting all teary eyed now.

mole44 22:40 28 Jul 2004

i was in hm forces in the mid 60 not only did we have mechanical comuters made by plessey if i remember the name ,but 2 inch tape video recorder

Forum Editor 22:59 28 Jul 2004

.............the best graphics machines ever.

Babylon 5, raytracing, 32-bit software in 1985, pre-emptive multi-tasking. They were way ahead of their time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?