Do you prefer to fix or replace?

SweetPotatoes 06:20 22 Jun 2018

When things break, do you prefer to fix them or replace them?

Quickbeam 06:48 22 Jun 2018

I'm from the make do and mend generation... but if a replace is an up grade or a cheaper option, then I replace.

The days are gone where you'd have a new tube in a TV or take a toaster or kettle to an electrician to have an element replaced!

canarieslover 07:30 22 Jun 2018

As Quickbeam says a lot of things are cheaper to replace than to repair but I still have a go if I think I can do it. Many items there are not even spares available to make a repair possible.

oresome 08:52 22 Jun 2018

I usually like to make a diagnosis, but may well then decide it's time to get a new one.

Some repairs are less effort than replacing.

The desktop PC wouldn't switch on reliably the other week. A squirt of WD40 on the miniature on/off switch beneath the large button has cured that one.

The three way valve on the central heating has a synchronous motor that fails and can be replaced much easier and cheaper than replacing the complete valve assembly.

One of the oven heating elements has failed twice and I've replaced it rather than buy a new built in oven each time. Actually, the last time it failed it damaged the control panel and I had to replace that as well, but the total cost of parts was still around £65, so much less than the cost of a new oven.

I couldn't easily cure a dripping tap at my daughter's house and the disruption was significant, so I replaced the tap.

I now replace the car every 2 or 3 years to save the hassle of needing repairs, although the hassle of buying and particularly selling is significant if you want to drive a bargain.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 22 Jun 2018

Labour is the chief cost of repair therefore it can only be economical to repair if you have the skills to do it yourself.

However I can't chuck anything away if it still works even if its way outdated, have a HP Omnibook PIII 256Mb RAM looks like it is going to become a "wall computer" to show pictures videos and play DVDs :0)

Quickbeam 16:19 22 Jun 2018

I have a 15 amp round pin to 13 amp square pin convertor from the 'early '60s that's travelled around the country with us as a boy and been inherited but for some reason I hang on to it!

Quickbeam 16:21 22 Jun 2018

"I now replace the car every 2 or 3 years to save the hassle of needing repairs, although the hassle of buying and particularly selling is significant if you want to drive a bargain."

I've never bought a car, old or new, without thinking I've been ripped off somewhere by the dealer!

Pine Man 11:13 23 Jun 2018

Yesterday the pull cord for the bathroom light broke and the electrical shop I originally bought it from said it wasn't possible to fit a new cord to that type so tried to sell me a new switch.

Well after about an hour and a lot of swearing.......................I proved him wrong and a metre of cord cost 48p!

Not a lot of savings but loads of satisfaction.

Pine Man 11:17 23 Jun 2018

QB

I'm with you on this.

I've always managed to get free servicing for 3 years and they come with a 3 year warranty and recovery.

At the end of 3 years there is a lot of expense on the horizon.

Just got a VW Golf GTE Advance - my first foray into hybrid motoring!

john bunyan 12:06 23 Jun 2018

The main problem with new cars every 3 years or so is depreciation- in the past I have seen about £5000 - £3000 per year .

x123 14:10 23 Jun 2018

Same as Pine Man, change the car every 3 years and get a package that covers everything.

Yes it may be a bit more expensive but if you keep the car 5 years, it is worth much less and you have the bills and mot tests to get through. On balance we would rather let it go after 3 years.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?