Do you like our new home?

Forum Editor 18:08 08 Apr 2011
Answered

I've been out all day, and missed the launch, so a belated welcome from me. I hope you like the new look.

We are bound to need a couple of tweaks, and it would be good to hear what you think, but perhaps you could let me know via email, rather than starting a thread? Otherwise we'll end up with a batch of threads, and it may get confusing.

It's great to have a new site; I hope you'll enjoy using it, and perhaps join me in thanking the hard-working development team who put it all together - no mean feat with a site of this size and complexity.

Forum Editor 18:40 08 Apr 2011

buteman

You're not alone - I've seen a few error pages myself in the past 30 minutes.

This is the web equivalent of a one-off, hand built car, and over the weekend we may see some glitches. I know it can be irritating to get error messages, but over the weekend we'll see some heavy traffic, so please bear with us - we'll get it right, but it may take a few days to settle in.

Forum Editor 18:48 08 Apr 2011

octal

Many thanks, your point is noted. I'll pass it on to the development team on Monday.

JYPX 18:51 08 Apr 2011

I like it...........a lot.

Forum Editor 18:53 08 Apr 2011

ams4127

Thank you - enjoy the sun and the beer.

Forum Editor 19:03 08 Apr 2011

finerty

Thank you.

Anything new feels a little strange at first, and you won't be the only one who will need a while to find your bearings. The only real way to test something like this is by subjecting it to scrutiny by the people who are going to use it - people like you.

Let's see how it performs over the weekend. Glad you like the look.

amonra 19:33 08 Apr 2011

Having done my nightly trawl through my favourite forums it is now practically impossible to differntiate one mag page from another. This site is now a clone of another IDG site namely PCWorld. Have a look at PCMag site, another clone. The old layout was very distinctive, easy to navigate and easy on the eyes. As I stated on another post (somewhere) I'm not a happy bunny.

Nontek 19:45 08 Apr 2011

Obviously a lot of work has gone into developing this new site, so I do congratulate those responsible overall, however ....

I very seriously DISLIKE the Forum pages layouts, much prefer the old style.

I may perhaps change my opinion after some usage, maybe a few weeks or so, to give it a chance!

TonyV 19:58 08 Apr 2011

Forum Editor

It seems fine, except for one little niggle. The Post button below is below the "parapet". I can just see it and if I use ctrl + it comes fully into view. Then, when I reduce by ctrl -, it is still visible, but will vanish when typing the response in the message box. I have the magnification viewing set to 100%, but have to change to 125% to get the correct view. Maybe it is something to do with my settings, though nothing else seems to be a problem. Text size is set to "medium".

TonyV

canarieslover 20:03 08 Apr 2011

I preferred the 'click here' opening up another tab rather than the page appearing on the tab I have open for the forum.

Brumas 20:27 08 Apr 2011

Forum Editor

I like the new look but hope that me 'laying old carpet in a new house', i.e.my usual Friday night offering won't lower the tone of the place ;o}}

One question, how does one green-tick now? I cannot see where to, it is obviously there somewhere but for the life of me I can't see it! The boot is on the other foot now, I'm asking for clues to identify a hidden location ;o}}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Bon Plan Adobe : 40 % de réduction sur l’abonnement Adobe CC