Do you like music ? Chapter 3 part 9 redux

Belatucadrus 17:04 14 Dec 2018
Answered

Ooops, pushed the boundaries of good taste a bit far and the first music post of the week got axed by HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED.

So in a mad dash to find a suitable utterly innocuous alternative I came up with "There's no one quite like Grandma" by the St Winifreds school choir but then noticed who was introducing the clip and decided it wasn't as suitable after all.

You'll just have to make do with this instead.

Click Here

Aitchbee 19:44 14 Dec 2018

Sorry but I prefer the original. I can't see the point of upsetting everyone's childhood memories of that famous film and all of the songs in it. Leave well alone I say.

Aitchbee 14:16 15 Dec 2018

I am not the only one having this viewpoint.

click here

Belatucadrus 15:14 15 Dec 2018

There are fans of the books that share P L Travers view that the original movie was a loathsome saccharine loaded travesty, a betrayal of the spirit of a much loved literary character and was far from Practically perfect in every way.

It should also perhaps be noted that not all reviewers share Will Gompertz opinion on the new sequel. I will also point out that the original clip is a spoof and nothing whatever to do with the new movie, something it predates by a good three years.

Click Here

Forum Editor 15:54 15 Dec 2018
Answer

"....P L Travers view that the original movie was a loathsome saccharine loaded travesty, a betrayal of the spirit of a much loved literary character and was far from Practically perfect in every way."

And yet she happily pocketed the $100,000 and the 5% of the film's gross earnings that saved her from bankruptcy and made her more than five million dollars. Even now it continues to make money, managing to pull in over $170,000 in one week of DVD sales in November of this year

The "loathsome saccharine loaded travesty" became one of the all time favourite childrens films of the 20th century, winning five Oscars. The YouTube video in your link might appeal to some people, but it has zero entertainment value as far as I'm concerned.

Belatucadrus 16:24 15 Dec 2018

There are fans of the books that share P L Travers view

Never said it was a view I shared, I haven't read the books so can't have an opinion to express on it, it remains none the less a point of view that some hold and have expressed.

As to the cash, I've no doubt it was very useful and over time she even offered grudging appreciation of the film as a production piece. She never however felt it was a fair presentation of the character she created and remained angry about the way she was treated by Uncle Walt & co. So much so that she made damned sure nobody else got the chance to do it again until she gave the west end theatre production the go ahead and only then with several caveats.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)