Do you know many who don't use the net?

Cymro. 11:46 15 Sep 2019

BBC link

Almost one-fifth of Britons 'do not use internet' Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests. The size of the group presented a "dilemma" for any government trying to reach and support them, said the OII. That's a lot more than I expected.

wee eddie 13:56 15 Sep 2019

The Net is expensive if you are on the breadline.

It is often said that you can use the Library's Computer but, that is not possible because you may not have the funds for the Bus Ride or your local library has been closed ~ a common problem, these days.

Menzie 20:39 15 Sep 2019

The Net is expensive if you are on the breadline.

Yep, unfortunately there are some making the minimum wage, where as much as 70-80% of your earnings after taxes go on the roof over your head in some cases.

That's why they started the phrase a "living wage" which sadly many don't make.

Forum Editor 22:33 15 Sep 2019

"Almost 20% of British people are not using the internet, a survey suggests."

18% of the UK population is over 60 years old, and I imagine that a lot of them feel that they can live quite happily without the internet. They get the news from newspapers and /or TV and radio, and they go shopping in shops.

This survey - which age groups were included, or was it people of all ages?

wee eddie 22:48 15 Sep 2019

FE: Folk that are 60 will have worked for 30+ years with the Internet. Even 70yos should be familiar with it. Now, only those over 75 have any excuse for unfamiliarity.

I must admit that, at 74, were it not for this Forum and my family on Facebook and WhatsApp, I wouldn't bother with the Internet. Now I have a TV with Freeview, I use the Internet less and less

Quickbeam 07:06 16 Sep 2019

I only know one person that doesn't use the web.

70, well pensioned, retired from own dental technicians business, employed 8, totally none-web wise. Not a clue how to use it or see any use of it to himself.

Also remained totally computer illiterate in doing all his invoicing by hand written carbon tripple copies.

I've always done it this way, and that's that!

Forum Editor 14:15 16 Sep 2019

wee eddie

The link to the survey mentioned by Cymro does link internet use to income - the oldest and poorest being those who don't use it.

A couple who live next door to me - both around 65 - say they have no use for the internet. My postman, who looks to be in his late 50s has never sent an email, or bought anything online - he says his daughter does that if necessary.

There are exceptions to every rule.

In May of this year, the Office for national Statistics released figures which show that

Interestingly, it says that 95% of adults aged 16 to 74 years in the UK were recent internet users, the third-highest in the EU. The remainder had never used the internet.

Lies, damned lies and statistics, eh?

amonra 15:11 18 Sep 2019

The latest idea by the Welsh assembly is to make all Welsh bus-passes obsolete on Dec. 31st. "Please apply on-line for your new bus-pass". Two slight problems, the site crashed after the announcement was made, and no signs of it re-appearing, and secondly, since all the applicants are 70 plus, quite a number will not be able to go on-line and complete the application form. The powers that be suggest going to your local library to use their facilities or to your local county hall who will be able to help you ??? Number one point is, you have to take a bus into town. OK if there is one running and can get you there and back after finding someone to help you complete the form on line. I don't think a lot of thought went into the planning process otherwise someone would have realised a lot of the older generation do not have a computer,do not have their own transport, have no knowledge of using a computer, and get easily confused by any change in the status quo. I can see myself fully occupied over the next few weeks.

wee eddie 16:04 18 Sep 2019

Amonora: It sounds as though the Welsh Assembly has the same calibre of participants as Holyrood has!

Do you use the "Numpty" down your way

Quickbeam 17:19 18 Sep 2019

amonra Classic catch 22 situation then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 19 Sep 2019

Mother 90 not interested.

Wife, who's superpower seems to be to disrupt anything technical she touches, the internet wouldn't stand a chance. She disabled Barclays banking system the other year when they made her use a cash machine rather than serve her at the counter. They now panic whenever she enters a branch. :0)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)