Do you have sensors on your car

Sapins 09:34 11 Jan 2017
Answered

which detect people or objects within range and give out an audible warning. I have just learned to my cost that these sensors will not detect anything which is lower that about 18inches. I was at the dealers where I bought the car and had got them to give it the once over before we go on holiday, they finished the inspection and I was reversing in the car park towards the reception office to pick up my wife when bang! I had hit one of the concrete troughs that had plants in them, no warning at all, the garage confirmed the sensors would not detect low "objects, that cost me £800, I am really annoyed with myself, I will need to check all round, which I probably should have done, before I reverse again. Just thought I'd let you know what can happen.

oresome 10:00 11 Jan 2017

I have rear sensors on the car, but still reversed into a bollard!

To be fair to the car, it gave me plenty of warning but I thought I knew better. I was looking over my shoulder, could see what I thought was the approaching bollard and considered I still had plenty of room to move back.

Problem was, I was looking at the wrong bollard and the one I hit was out of sight.

As they say, it's the nut behind the wheel.

Forum Editor 10:09 11 Jan 2017

My car shows a view of what's at the rear of the car, and warns when I'm getting close.

My wife's car has no screen, but the audio warning does seem to pick up low objects. When she got the car we tested the range, and the sensors detected a small suitcase easily enough.

hssutton 10:20 11 Jan 2017

learned to my cost that these sensors will not detect anything which is lower that about 18inches. Nor if they ar are approx 4 feet high My sister in law was reversing her Lexus, but never looks at the video display. She was aware that she was reversing towards a waste skip, finished up with a £1500 bill when the top edge of the skip made a hole in the back door

hastelloy 10:35 11 Jan 2017

Our Fiesta has rear sensors which detect a kerb. They're sometimes a bit too sensitive and make you think you're closer than you are - not a bad fault I suppose.

Old Deuteronomy 10:52 11 Jan 2017

Nor if they ar are approx 4 feet high My sister in law was reversing her Lexus, but never looks at the video display. She was aware that she was reversing towards a waste skip, finished up with a £1500 bill when the top edge of the skip made a hole in the back door.

A good thing there was not a small child by the skip and not picked up by the sensors.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 11 Jan 2017

My car has all round cameras - still manged to reverse into a wall during a tight squeeze on narrow roads in Devon.

Lane warning, blind spot warning, sharp bend warning Traffic camera warning, Problem is we come to rely on these devices too much - I will probably drop back to basics in the next car (all the beeping drives me nuts) all though I would miss the rear cameras.

Burn-it 12:18 11 Jan 2017

I have sensors in my head and I use those!

bumpkin 12:47 11 Jan 2017

Various experiences of these. I found that a set of four individually set to my requirements combined with looking gave the best results.

Forum Editor 13:09 11 Jan 2017

"I have sensors in my head and I use those!"

Some years before he died, my father - then in his early 70s - came home from a shopping trip one day, and told my mother that he would not be driving any more.

He had been reversing in a car park, and had hit a lampost which he hadn't spotted (no sensors then). he told my mother 'It could have been a person, or a young child' and he never got behind the wheel again.

Quickbeam 13:48 11 Jan 2017

They're an aid, not a replacement for mirrors!

My VW will detect a 4" high kerb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL