Do we realy understand children

bumpkin 20:11 21 Dec 2015

Xmas time again and a time for children who believe in Father Xmas and the Tooth Fairy. I wonder if we actualy understand what goes on in their minds.

This is meant to be a lighthearted thread and I am sure many can give similar examples.

My 5yr old grandaughter asked me to teach her to do soldering presumably she had see me do it. I said no as you could burn yourself. Do you burn yourself was the reply. No I said, now go and play with dolls like a normal girl.

Aitchbee 21:37 21 Dec 2015

When I visit my 3-yr-old-[great]-neice, her mum and gran sometimes spell out some KEYWORDSs of some sentences that we might not want her to comprehend - but I think the little girl can probably decipher the 'gist' of it at times ;o]

RV510 21:47 21 Dec 2015

Let children be children I say, they are not children in the true sense of the word that they used to be years ago, they 'grow up' too fast, especially where a child may be more isolated, have no other siblings or children of their own age around them to interact with.

Forum Editor 22:42 21 Dec 2015

My daughter-in-law travels the world lecturing on environmental issues. She is also an excellent plumber, having been taught how to do it by a friend of her family when she was a teenager.

She probably played with dolls as well. There's no reason why girls shouldn't learn to do things that have traditionally been done by men, but I agree that five years is a little young to be handling soldering equipment.

morddwyd 08:30 22 Dec 2015

"I wonder if we actualy understand what goes on in their minds."

Or if we even want to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 22 Dec 2015

"I wonder if we actualy understand what goes on in their minds."

No we're too busy trying to mould their minds into something like ours. Not sure if that is a good thing, probably not inmost cases.

Forum Editor 10:53 22 Dec 2015

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

The thing about being a parent is that you don't find out whether you have made mistakes until it's too late to rectify them.

Various studies have all come to the same conclusion - a child's personality/character becomes fully formed at some point between the ages of three and seven years. After that, it might be modified slightly, but basic traits are there for life by the time a child is seven.

That means that, as parents, we only have a small window of opportunity during which we can give our children a set of moral values by which they will live. A sense of right and wrong emerges during those few years, and if we don't provide the moral support that's needed it can develop only partially, or not at all.

Things like a sense of humour develop naturally, but they can also be heavily influenced by parents, as can musical tastes.

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man," was supposedly said by the founder of the Jesuits, St Ignatius Loyola. It is misquoted and attributed to others, but nevertheless, child psychologists generally believe it to be true.

It's a pretty scary thought when you are a parent, especially when you see the way that some parents treat (or mistreat) their children. One of the problems is that many people are bringing up more than one child at a time. I was one of those, and my children are now grown up and independent. I often wonder what they think, looking back on their childhood.

Forum Editor 11:33 22 Dec 2015

Sir Mistoffelees

I'm sure that's a feeling shared by many of us.

spuds 12:09 22 Dec 2015

Do you burn yourself was the reply. No I said, now go and play with dolls like a normal girl.

A friend of mine owns an heavy haulage fleet, and had he said something like that to his kid's when they were growing up, they would have never learned to drive big artics and the like, well before they were old enough or should have done. The daughter can knock spots of some of the more mature male professional driver's, when it comes to moving heavy loads around the country. Doll's are certainly not her choice, but heavy transport sure is.

bumpkin 13:05 22 Dec 2015

Play with dolls was said jokingly. They should be able play with any toys they choose but obviously not a soldering iron.

What amused me was the sudden request out of the blue, I was not doing soldering at the time nor had I for several weeks. Also the on going questions and remarks "Why don't you burn yourself" "Because I am careful" "I will be careful then"

That sort of thing and the various other things that children come out with in the innocence of youth I just find amusing in a pleasant sort of way.

spuds 13:16 22 Dec 2015

bumpkin

When Readers Digest was popular, there use to be little articles, as a fill-in.

I still recall a series of similar children sayings or expressions, and one particular still comes to mind. Whether it was true or not, I wouldn't know. But it was about a child, who attended their first school,and the parent's sent a letter, stating that they would not be responsible for anything the child said, did or expressed.

I still wonder if that child was a bit of an handful ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)