Do we really not want to win?

hastelloy 09:30 06 Oct 2015
Answered

Once again a "major" sporting event has taken over the TV channels but we've had that discussion before (here) so I don't think we should repeat it..

It makes me wonder why we, a comparatively small country, insist on entering 4 teams instead of 1, stronger, national (UK) team?

Quickbeam 10:22 06 Oct 2015

Because the Home Nations just can't abide each other enough to do that!

There was an exception for the London Olympics UK football team because we enter the Olympics as the UK, but it didn't capture the public's attention.

Quickbeam 10:28 06 Oct 2015

...the British Lions enter with players from all the home nations, but that doesn't create an unbeatable superteam as there is a compromise in having to have a minimum number of players from country xy&z to keep their home nation happy. If a truly superteam was to be entered based on a players recent form, you'd have 90% of the players from the strongest country that year and only a few from one or two of the other countries.

It's a team organised politically by committee.

hastelloy 10:52 06 Oct 2015

Quickbeam

You're probably right but it's still stupid IMHO.

Ungus 11:43 06 Oct 2015

Quickbeam

You have hit the nail with full force right on the head, we come together very rarely and probably when only really threatened other than that we couldnt agree about the colour of cow dung and are not slow in finding new ways to dislike each other even more. However more seriously playing as one team or nation would mean the end of the other nations and that really would cause a rumpus, plus i could never see for example Scottish fans ever supporting any team with Englishmen other than lions tours in it and vice versa. Best never too even suggest it i think we are all far happier in our own tribes bashing each other over the head who can occasionally come together when threatened by such things as maybe the Kaiser or Hitler other than these two people i cant think of much that would cause agreement. I think any notion of oneness went out the window with the devolved parlaiments.

hastelloy 18:59 06 Oct 2015

Ungus

Your response merely emphasises the stupidity which pervades this island.

We have more in common than we have differences so why can't we cooperate for everybody's benefit?

morddwyd 19:31 06 Oct 2015

"We have more in common than we have differences"

But we don't.

We share a language, a monarch and a currency but very little else.

We don't vote for the same political party, we don't have the same attitude to the EU, we differ on immigration, we have different sporting interests, the differences are many and varied.

john bunyan 19:56 06 Oct 2015

In that case why is the Olympic Games and some tennis and golf tournaments have a UK team , and not the individual countries of the Union?

I still , strongly, a "oneness" even with devolved Parliaments and political differences. I have said before it is of great regret that some Scots do not like "the English" in general, never mind Westminster, whereas most English people I know love Scotland and the Scots!!

Our generation were not responsible for the sins of history, any more than is the current German population for the sins of the Nazis.

I have worked closely with Scottish army units in the past and we were very close, with a friendly rivalry on occasions, a bit like rugby fans who are unsegregated!

john bunyan 19:59 06 Oct 2015

For Latin readers "E pluribus Unum" as they say in the USA!!

Aitchbee 20:15 06 Oct 2015

Scotland [under it's own steam] would probably win the Eurovision Song Contest as nobody votes for the UK ... it's a no-brainer ;o)

hastelloy 09:03 07 Oct 2015

morddwyd

*""We have more in common than we have differences"

But we don't.

We share a language, a monarch and a currency but very little else.

We don't vote for the same political party, we don't have the same attitude to the EU, we differ on immigration, we have different sporting interests, the differences are many and varied."*

Even if you spoke for ALL people of any of the 4 countries (which I don't believe), these are relatively superficial differences - we are all human beings, have the same emotions and suffer the same stresses. I don't understand why we can't just rub along together and get on with it. I have had Irish, Scottish and Welsh friends without any friction at all so it can be done.

For goodness sake let's lose the parochial attitudes and work together for the good of the country in particular and humanity in general.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France