Do Opticians Report To The DVLA?

morddwyd 07:42 29 Oct 2015

A friend tells me that her licence was withdrawn after her optician reported her her to the DVLA as having defective vision.

Is this true, and if so is it new?

I've never heard of this before, not even by doctors.

Several medics knew the bin lorry driver in Glasgow should not have been driving.

Quickbeam 07:47 29 Oct 2015

I'd be interested to know the definitive answer, I always assumed that medics are duty bound to inform DVLA, but as you say, the Glasgow bin lorry crash suggests otherwise.

BT 07:56 29 Oct 2015

Picked from Specsavers website

The optometrist will not normally send a report to a third party without the express permission of the patient as there are strict rules on confidentiality. However the General Medical Council has published guidance on reporting concerns about patients to the DVLA or Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) which may help explain the position of optometrists in these circumstances. It says the following: "The GMC guidance says that the driver is legally responsible for informing the DVLA or DVA about a condition or treatment [that may now, or in the future, affect their safety as a driver]. They advise that if the patient has such a condition, the doctor should explain to the patient: (a) That the condition may affect their ability to drive (if the patient is incapable of understanding this advice, for example because of dementia, you should inform the DVLA or DVA immediately), and (b) That they have a legal duty to inform the DVLA or DVA about the condition. If the patient refuses to accept the diagnosis, or the effect of the condition on their ability, or potential ability to drive, the GMC advises that the doctor can suggest that the patient seek a second opinion, and can help arrange for them to do so. The doctor should advise the patient not to drive in the meantime."

BRYNIT 08:27 29 Oct 2015

It sounds like some optometrists do pass some information onto the DVLA CLICK HERE

A small section. "Over the past few months the DVLA has contacted 604 motorists after it emerged that a field vision analyser, used by DVLA-accredited optometrists since 2010 to assess competency to drive, is unreliable."

morddwyd 08:47 29 Oct 2015

Ah, that's good, the definitive answer that Qyickbeam wanted.

They may, or they may not!

On balance, though, looks as though my friend was correct.

spuds 10:11 29 Oct 2015

The truth of the matter, is that the general public on the whole are not aware just what information about them is being passed on to other parties.Either legally or illegally.

With regards to Specsavers, I saw one of their adverts, and on the basis had my eyes tested. Result of that, was prescribed a pair of expensive spectacles, that didn't do the job, and a full refund was given. Good vision to start with, poor vision with spectacles. So going on that, I wonder what the DVLA would assume!.

HondaMan 10:25 29 Oct 2015

I was assured by one, VisionExpress, that they did not because of the patient confidentiality clauses.

I was in a similar position to morddwyd.s friend, but appealed and had my licence returned by the DVLA prior to the hearing. As I has been a driver for many years, I fell under the "exceptional case" rules. I would suggest your friend does some research along those lines, but bear in mind that she only has 6 months to appeal that decision

Belatucadrus 12:04 29 Oct 2015

So it looks as if Opticians and Doctors will not normally report to the DVLA due to confidentiality legislation, but the guidelines section A & B give them wiggle room to circumvent this should the patient choose to ignore their guidance and continue to drive.

If a patient does report one of the listed medical conditions to the DVLA ( as you're supposed to ) the DVLA can call for mandatory eye tests at an approved optician, who will pass the results to the DVLA.

Ventad 12:54 29 Oct 2015

I went for my usual eye test last year given a thorough check up, I wear glasses and the optician at the end said "do you wear your glasses all the time" I replied yes he then said "does this include when you drive your car" I said all the time I even have a spare pair. "That's good if you did not wear them all the time whilst driving I would have had to inform the DVLA" !!!

Belatucadrus 14:25 29 Oct 2015
  HondaMan 15:15 29 Oct 2015

That leaves the decision firmly in the hands of the individual optometrist. There appears to be NO legal requirement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)