Do I really need Service Pack 2?

CurlyWhirly 18:48 06 Aug 2004

I have read about Microsoft putting more emphasis into security in it's SP2 download at the expense of compatibilty with some applications.
What I would like to know is is it worth installing SP2 as I am currently protected with ALL the latest security patches and I run a firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and a trojan scanner.

If I did install it (after all the minor glitches have been ironed out!) is it possible to uninstall it if I came across compatibity problems like Service Pack 1 where you are given the option to archive it?
CW

oresome 19:49 06 Aug 2004

Better still, wait a while.

This site will quickly tell you what problems you might expect courtesy the early adopters.

powerless 20:38 06 Aug 2004

click here

FE agree?

CurlyWhirly 22:37 06 Aug 2004

Forum Editor

I will of course be buying the next issue of PC Advisor like I said in a previous topic I haven't missed a copy since I had my PC over 2 years ago!
I will be looking forward to reading what Microsoft have to say on this subject!
CW

CurlyWhirly 22:44 06 Aug 2004

Georgemac

I agree with you entirely about the benefit of Microsoft putting the SP2 on PC magazine cover disks for those still on dial-up.
I am glad that you like your new broadband connection and I (like you) would NEVER go back to dial-up!
I have had broadband for over a year now and IMHO broadband rocks!
CW

powerless 19:15 07 Aug 2004

Pirated keys are reported to work with the Final Sp2.

So much for that.

Forum Editor 19:26 07 Aug 2004

I'm interested to know who has reported that - the final version hasn't been released yet.

powerless 22:00 07 Aug 2004

Final release is on windows beta avilable to download.

CurlyWhirly 00:06 08 Aug 2004

Madboy33

Thanks for your reply!
By the way NOT that you are implying but I DON'T have a pirate copy of XP!
I built this PC and I bought most of my hardware from ARIA Technology along with a copy of XP!
CW

CurlyWhirly 11:35 08 Aug 2004

Madboy33

Sorry I misunderstood!
Regards CW

Forum Editor 12:27 08 Aug 2004

The final release isn't available anywhere yet.

Once again - who was it that reported that pirated keys will work with SP2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)