Do girls prefer pink laptops?

Managing ed 11:43 21 Aug 2007

Two scientists claim to have proven that women prefer pink:

click here

I'm not hugely convinced by the science anyway, but isn't it patronising when manufacturers try to marke things to women simply by making them pink? Or is it part of the consumer nature of modern computers that some people value style over substance?

Quickbeam 11:51 21 Aug 2007

is long past it's sell-by date.

We can have cameras, TVs etc in flashy colours. The last computer case I bought was a nice electric blue, with lots of flashing lights (just like a 'Star Trek' computer!).

It's only a cover like mobiles have... so why can't we have a greater choice for laptops?

wee eddie 13:58 21 Aug 2007

Why are men so boring that they all want to be seen with the same colour.

Suits ~ Dark Grey.
Cars ~ Light Grey.
Evening wear ~ Black.
PCs ~ Black.
Laptops ~ Dark Grey.
Shoes ~ Black.

Now each one of us may have a moment of madness and go around in brown shoes, or have a Blue jacket, but that's about it. We're fashion sheep!

Women are much more adventurous and have rainbow coloured wardrobes, why should their Laptops not follow that. Adding colours to ones equipment is just a facet of that fashion sense.

However, I can't see Nicola Horlick shuffling through a pile of laptops and saying "I just can't find a single one that I can take, to the Office, with this suit!"

Quickbeam 14:02 21 Aug 2007

Nice analogy.

We're too boring by far... lighten up!

Belatucadrus 14:05 21 Aug 2007

click here

I'm sorry , but it looks like a load of pseudo-scientific guff. To come up with statements like

"Here again, I would favour evolutionary arguments. Going back to our 'savannah' days, we would have a natural preference for a clear blue sky, because it signalled good weather. Clear blue also signals a good water source."

Is completely insane, in the UK boys have been culturally aligned with Blue and girls with Pink since birth. Indeed blokes who like pink are frequently stigmatised as being gay or weird. Now if they can replicate the study in foreign cultures where this colour preconception doesn't exist, maybe I'd give it some credence as a valid scientific study. But their "explanations" are at best poor grade guess work, science they are not.

Forum Editor 23:42 21 Aug 2007

Maybe, but the fact remains that, whatever the reason pink probably tops the popularity poll with girls, particularly young girls, and has done for a very long time.

Some women may find it patronising to have themselves portrayed as fluffy and pink-loving, and I can understand it, but it's no good pretending that there isn't a preference for pink when the evidence for it is overwhelming. There must be an underlying reason - someone didn't suddenly decide that girls liked pink.

Anyway, why get so defensive about it - what's wrong with liking pink? Some women might do better spending less time on getting all huffy every time they perceive a slight that isn't there, and more time on understanding that men and women are different, have always been different, and always will be different.

Forum Editor 00:59 22 Aug 2007

Kate B

I suppose you don't have to buy a pink anything if you don't want to, even if 'someone in an ad agency' tries to persuade you. Nobody in an ad agency decides that you want a pink product - agencies advertise what their clients produce, and producers make what market research tells them is likely to sell.

Stereotyping tools are in daily use, and not just where women are concerned - men come in for a fair bit of that kind of treatment as well. It's irritating, but isn't the end of the world, and sometimes I feel that some people - women as often as not - are far too sensitive about it all. Personally I couldn't care less if a woman wants to stereotype me, I'm not in the least threatened by it.

Marketing pink laptops isn't in the least patronising to women - it's no different than marketing motorbikes with leather-clad models draped over them to men. What sells, sells, and if women aren't drawn to pink products they'll fade into obscurity - the products, that is.

wee eddie 08:00 22 Aug 2007

when all cars were black.

Maybe the market is just beginning to grow up.

OK, so the pink bit is a bit of a side line, and having a grey one with a coloured lid is something of a style faux-pas. But it may soon be possible to specify a variety of case colours as well as specifications.

Initially there will be a small premium, but that will disappear quite quickly.

namtas 08:05 22 Aug 2007

Re men and boring colours - solution is simple seek advice from the girl in your life.

wee eddie 11:33 22 Aug 2007

To like it but also find the assumption that you will like it, as you are a female, patronising.

namtas 12:02 22 Aug 2007

"To flip it over, Peter raised the equally crass marketing technique of draping bikini babes over cars. Do men find that insulting? Or does it work? Or, like pink kit, is there a sector of the market for whom it works?"

I don't think that it sells the car, but it gets it noticed, that is, when the male can eventually take his eyes off the bikini and regain control of himself. I suppose it is similar to lads mags, it is just another way of getting attention. Do men find it insulting? heavens no, the day that this happens is the day men should consider signing up for meals on wheels and the carers resource.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G