Do adverts annoy you and why !

mrgrumpy 23:45 05 Oct 2019

Ok so I accept that loads of people advertise stuff and they are tax deductible as a business expense but what I have a problem with is how it all happens and this can fall into many categories.

here are some examples.

A premiership football team wear kits with *** logo on them and the so called marketing men just know children ( kids are young goats ) will apply pester power to buy the kit , so 1 child turns up with the latest xyz kit and parents and children say I/we want it as well , what I don't get is joe blogs at a local firm at a very small club has a board with his name on , is this also tax deductible because I would not go buy a bath from a local plumber just because his name was on a board at a local football ground.

Sorry to say this but unlike many years ago sites now accept adverts/income to help pay for the running costs , what I don't like is , and this site is a typical example , adds pop up so fast that you are just about to click on answer for somebody and in a split second an add pops up so fast that you get redirected.

Television adverts ….. they really ps me off , example a well known person starts an advert by saying hello my name is *** , , , cut the B.S. I know who you are so why don't you just talk your way through the advert.

Next , STUPID adverts have you ever watched an advert and wondered where is this going , the video has nothing to do with the product and right at the end " the well known person" tells you , I always use …..

GAMES (any format ) adverts on tv , adults are/should be street savvy buy children are not , they don't spot the message at the bottom that says , not in game footage , that should not be allowed because child says to dad , advert was good game is **.

Google play store on tablets , you look at user comments and they say , I uninstalled as I got fed up with ads , on a personal note I can say I THINK it is NOT the game provider I think it is the google system that is hitting users with adverts , the reason I say this is because I got a new tablet and re-installed all the games/apps from my library ,all of a sudden I found myself using the same things that never carried adverts. EXAMPLE... I downloaded a game called iluminati , you cant even look at your progress tabs without been hit by adds before looking at progress , this never use to happen.

AND FINALLY , despite all my moaning I have to do a quick rewind , many years ago I use to use a website called stage 6 I got dozens of old films legally that were out of the 50 copywrite , and the sad thing was advertising was only just beginning to kick in and they had to shut down because they could not get anyone to come onboard to support their running costs.

Belatucadrus 01:43 06 Oct 2019

One particular genre of TV add that gets right up my nose is the Over fifties funeral plan. They seem particularly prevalent on daytime TV where you can sometimes get two or three in sequence. The ones where they express amazement that anybody over fifty hasn't picked out a plot, planned the service and given up the ghost but who really needs to give them money so that the relatives aren't faced with the cost of disposing of the cadaver which for somebody of such obvious decrepitude is bound to be any day now.

Guess what I am over fifty and have no immediate plans to push up the daisies , nor do I intend to agonise about it just because Alan bloody Titchmarsh or Parky think I should .

Pine Man 08:55 06 Oct 2019

For some years now I have set my TV Hard Drive recorders every Saturday for all the programs I want to watch in the forthcoming week. I can then watch them when it suits me and completely ADD FREE!

wee eddie 09:08 06 Oct 2019

May I speak from experience: Bel, When I sold my Taxi and decided, finally, to Retire at 74.I did not plan to fall off my bicycle, two days later, and fracture my pelvis. Resulting in my spending most of the summer relaxing on my back and then hopping around on crutches. You never know what's around the corner.

GOM: From 1980 until 2005, I had a Coffee House/Restaurant in the town of Ayr in South West Scotland. At the age of 50, I started Curling and, after a while, became very involved (aka, a fanatic).

When one has a small business, one does ones best to keep your name in front of the people you think will be potential customers.

I knew that many of the Curlers spent time in the Town Centre and therefor decided to spend some of my Advertising Budget on a Board at the Ice Rink. In doing so I hoped for a double whammy. Firstly, some extra customers. And Secondly, that my Board Rental would support the running costs of the Sport I loved.

Brumas 09:11 06 Oct 2019

Pine Man, you, me and a million other discerning people!

Old Deuteronomy 11:19 06 Oct 2019

One particular genre of TV add that gets right up my nose is the Over fifties funeral plan.

The problem with over 50s plans is the fixed maximum return. fine if you die just after the minimum term but, if you live a long time after taking out the plan, as you would hope to do if you are in your 50s, you will end up paying in far more than the policy will yield.

Open a savings account for the same purpose, saving a few pounds per month and your relatives will get all the money back plus a (very) little interest.

amonra 11:28 06 Oct 2019

In my local area all the commercial radio broadcasts carry an ad for a car sales company which advertises " your XYZ car for 2999 or 3999 or 7999" All their cars are priced at X999 pounds. It's the continual 999, 999 that drives me up the wall. I will NEVER,EVER do business with that company and do my best to deter potential buyers from going to their showrooms. GRRRRRRRR

john bunyan 13:43 06 Oct 2019

I mainly watch BBC Freeview channels as the ads on ITV irritate. I also sometimes use a HD recorder starting about 1/2 hour after the ITV programme starts and can jump the ads. However, either, like the BBC we pay , or we put up with ads. I found TV in USA , except for Public channels, almost unwatchable due to sponsorship or ads. You pays your money or take your choice, as we do here. Few newspapers or magazines could survive on journalism alone, nor can football clubs rely only on gate takings. Irritating but there it is

Forum Editor 22:35 06 Oct 2019

If you run a business you need to advertise. It's a simple fact of life that without advertising, most people would be totally unaware of the many goods and services which most of us use on a daily basis.

I'm surprised that you don't seem to understand this.

Menzie 01:37 07 Oct 2019

without advertising, most people would be totally unaware of the many goods and services.

Very true, when I worked in computer retail I had customers coming in and asking for a certain CPU manufacturer by name.

The other CPU manufacturer? 8/10 customers had never heard of them or were told by their friends who "knew computers" just to get the other one.

Aitchbee 12:51 07 Oct 2019

Similar to amonra's annoyance of in-your-face radio adverts but I have started to cringe at the number of times BBC Radio4's new Sounds App gets mentioned - I get the impression that most of the 'live' presenters are a bit miffed too 'cos they have all been ordered to plug it at every opportunity!

ps. I am not an App fan in any way, shape or form and often edit these 'pesky intrusions' out of any radio recordings I make.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !