Hot Topics

Do Advertising Companies live in a different world

wee eddie 23:45 15 May 2020

The reason I'm asking this is that I'm new to TV Advertising and so I've not seen that many Adverts,

A Company that builds websites called "Go Daddy" is promoting itself as a exceptional generator of extra business and to show how good they are, they use "The Happy Plasterer" of Bristol as an example of how a website will generate extra business. At the end of the Advert a lady rings and books him for Monday.

I was with the Ad all the way, until that last bit.

A Plasterer that has vacant time next week? Cloud Cuckoo Land or he is a really crap Plasterer. I know of no competent Plasterer that is not fully booked for the next 3 months and frequently longer.

Or, is this some kind of Trumpian Irony

Quickbeam 05:06 16 May 2020

I got a plasterer out at short notice 6 years ago on a Sunday. But I had to pay over the odds. Money always talks if you want it done now...

morddwyd 09:26 16 May 2020

I received junk mail on Thursday.

Now I realise mail is an essential service (I'm in Scotland remember so still in full lockdown) bot surely not junk mail?

Why should the postie risk infection by having to deliver this stuff, or I by having potentially contaminated stuff put through my door?

Quickbeam 10:48 16 May 2020

That's a grey area just like the seaside ice cream vendors that are allowed to open because they sell food!

Pine Man 11:28 16 May 2020

Why should the postie risk infection by having to deliver this stuff, or I by having potentially contaminated stuff put through my door?

Why would junk mail be at any more risk of contamination than ordinary mail?

Postie hasn't got the right to choose what he delivers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:31 16 May 2020

Yes a totally different world

• where animals and babies talk

• and miracle goods work all the time

• never mind lawyers that are going to claim a fortune for you for no fee.

morddwyd 18:15 16 May 2020

**Why would junk mail be at any more risk of contamination than ordinary mail? Postie hasn't got the right to choose what he delivers.**

It isn't, of course, but it is personal mail which is sent at my request, either real or implied. Junk mail is not, and is breach of my infection distancing.

As you say, postie doesn't have the right to interfere with the Queen's Mail, and commits an offence if he or sh does so, but the managers have the right, nay the duty, not to handle anything which may harm staff or customers, or which is not in the public interest to deliver.

Menzie 20:45 16 May 2020

For the Royal Mail and any other postal service in the world you can opt out of receiving unaddressed mail.

It won't stop mail that has "occupier" and your address on it but it will stop unaddressed junk mail.

I did this when I was in the UK and I and do it now with Canada Post. The amount of leaflets I was getting was ridiculous and was for stuff I can easily source myself if required.

Condom 20:49 16 May 2020

I received 2 items of mail this morning courtesy of Royal Mail. I thought Saturday deliveries had stopped because of Covid 19 or have I missed an update?

wee eddie 21:23 16 May 2020

Condom: I reckon that each Distribution Depot is playing it by ear and carrying out deliveries if they have the staff

Menzie 21:40 16 May 2020

As for the original post Wee Eddie, advertising sells things.

It wouldn't be much of a sell if they showed someone having to wait for a service.

It's like the car commercials where some person comes out of an office, hops in their car, and drives away smiling.

Most people after leaving work can drive 2 maybe even 5 minutes before encountering traffic at a standstill. I'm in traffic as soon as I pull out of the office parking lot and that's if someone allows me to go out in front of them.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

Different Think: Apple, stop being so successful!

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans