DIY Etc - Is it just me???????

onthelimit1 20:01 10 May 2018

Since I can't remember when, I've always tried to fix anything broken, rather than buy a replacement. Here we're talking cars, bikes, washing machines, kettles and pretty much anything else. I have three grown up children who either buy a replacement or 'get a man in'. Is it a generation thing?????

Old Deuteronomy 20:15 10 May 2018

Is it a generation thing?

Partly that and things no longer designed for easy repair, or spare parts unavailable.

onthelimit1 20:34 10 May 2018

Well, an example is a Kenwood Chef that belched forth smoke and died. A google found this to be quite common - a repair kit of a couple of resistors etc cost a fiver off ebay. Ten mins with a soldering iron had it working again.

bumpkin 20:47 10 May 2018

As said a lot of things are not easy to repair anymore especially now we have electronics involved. Also the cost of appliances has come down to the point where repair is not always the best option. For example: is it worth spending £160 plus the VAT to repair a $ yr old washing machine wnen you can get a new better one for £300.

Like yourself I try to repair things initially but when it comes to cars I have given up unless it is obvious. Much as I hate to admit it I have taken my car to local garage to have headlamp bulb changed and a wiper blade that came off.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 10 May 2018

On some modern cars you need a degree in mechanical engineering just to get at the headlight :0)

Repaired the tumble dryer the other week, wouldn't turn, capacitor start failed. New tumble dryer £200, new capacitor £14 and 10 minutes work.

oresome 21:32 10 May 2018

The problem I have is that the man the family get in is me.

This week, their car has been scratched. Can I work some magic?

Last week their bathroom tap was dripping. Could I fix it?

Week before, the alarm system was misbehaving. Could I sort it?

I'm told their back door is very stiff. Too much to hope they could lubricate it themselves.

Their car warned that the key had a low battery. Did I know how to open the key and did I have a battery to fit?.

Their car alerted them to a soft tyre. Did I know what to do?

And so it goes on.

My wife fairs little better.

This food states best before last night, will it be alright this morning?

Do you think this chicken will be cooked?

We've got a roast, but don't have a roasting tray.

We were invited for a BBQ, but they ran out of gas shortly after lighting it.

Personally I blame the parents............oh just a minute.

Aitchbee 21:36 10 May 2018

There are loadsa helpful DIY /Repair videos on Youtube; when it comes to electrics and/or plumbing issues I nearly always get a qualified professional in or else take broken appliance to a local repair shop.

I've bought tons of repair gadgets/tools/tapes/washers/soldering-irons/screws/ladders/workbenches etc etc in the past but somehow never get round to using them much.

Products with inbuilt-obsolescence is the way forward, no doupt about it.

Forum Editor 23:03 10 May 2018

As a responsible web site, we can't possibly endorse the idea of unqualified people undertaking their own repairs on electrical items. On average, there are 350,000 serious injuries caused by electrical accidents in the UK every year.

Obviously, not all of these are the result of DIY repairs, but many are.

Life is too short anyway, to risk ending it or being seriously injured by messing about with electrical items - leave it to those who are qualified.

Belatucadrus 23:23 10 May 2018

I remember a few posts back in the dim and distant where people asked about changing the fan on a PSU. General advice was only if you really know what you're doing as there were sufficient decent sized capacitors to give the unwary or inept a really nasty jolt if they were mishandled.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:31 10 May 2018

and when you get a man in ----- click here

Menzie 23:40 10 May 2018

DIY isn't very easy any more, everything is so complex now.

For instance to change my car's headlamp bulb requires the headlamp assembly to be removed completely from the body of the vehicle which requires part of the grill to be taken off.

The fog lamp bulbs are even worse to change.

My old car was easy, you just twisted the bulb holder out, placed the new bulb in and twisted it back in.

My current car is the same brand as the old one and a physically larger model but less space is there around the lamps.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Frida Kahlo's life, art and legacy explored in Google's new giant online collection and app

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?