Disposal of plastic waste and litter

Tammy34 10:17 28 Jan 2018

As plastics are a by-product of refined oil I assume that they are flammable and therefor could be incinerated to produce electricity. Is this possible in a clean burn incinerator?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 28 Jan 2018

See my answer to your post in speakers corner You cannot "clean burn" plastic.

Forum Editor 10:37 28 Jan 2018

Burning plastics produce large quantities of highly toxic dioxins. Apart from that, incineration is an expensive and inefficient process.

In general terms, recycling waste plastic is far better in environmental terms than incinerating it. When you incinerate plastic, you are left with a good deal of residue (called bottom ash), and this contains toxic substances - mainly Cadmium and lead. levels of Cadmium in bottom ash are generally twice the limit permitted for landfill disposal, and that creates a big problem - where do you put huge quantities of toxic ash?

So no, incinerating plastics as a means of generating electricity isn't viable.

Forum Editor 10:39 28 Jan 2018

This topic belongs in Speakers Corner rather then Tech Helproom - I am moving it now.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61