This is a disgraceful situation

Forum Editor 08:13 13 Dec 2016

Driver Operated Trains run safely all over the country, but the Unions have decided it is unsafe for Southern Railways, so they are deliberately making life a misery for hundreds of thousands of passengers.

BT 08:38 13 Dec 2016

Watching interviews on BBC this morning, and as usual its all 'Union Speak' from the Union representatives.

Its not just passengers who are suffering either its having a huge impact on businesses as well.

Driver Operated Trains run safely all over the country

And of course there are NO Drivers or Conductors on The Docklands Light Railway.

Forum Editor 08:54 13 Dec 2016

The whole of the London Underground runs with Driver Operated trains, and bizarrely so do 40% of Southern Railways services.

It seems to me that this is a classic case of a Union setting out to bring a Railway company down at the expense of its customers, and - ultimately - its own members.

oresome 09:00 13 Dec 2016

FE, what is your solution?

Are you suggesting that workers shouldn't have the right to withdraw their labour?

Would you sack the franchisee as was suggested in an interview this morning?

Perhaps you'd sack the Transport Minister for being ineffective?

john bunyan 09:09 13 Dec 2016

Corbin and Mcdonell's friends are using this for political reason. We will hear not a word of condemnation from them, no compassion for all the frustrated customers; they are in a bubble of N London lefties, including Diane Abbot. They imagine that as they have over 500,000 party members, that traditional Labour voters will vote for them. Their attitude to this strike is deplorable, reminiscent of the days of Skargill et al.

morddwyd 09:16 13 Dec 2016

"Driver Operated Trains run safely all over the country"

Agreed, but the "one size fits all" will not do.

There are many local factors to be taken into account, and there needs to be a bit of give and take. There are faults on both sides.

We had a similar situation with Scotrail and the RMT in the summer but an acceptable compromise was reached. No reason why the same should no be possible in England.

Forum Editor 09:30 13 Dec 2016

"oresome"

"FE, what is your solution?"

Talking - that's my solution. It's the right way to resolve disputes, and if talking doesn't do it, then an arbitration service should be used. Properly operating railways are vital to our economy, and for a Union to deliberately bring the system to a halt because it doesn't want to cooperate with the running of Driver operated trains is a total disgrace. Almost 90% of the drivers who are striking already operate these trains on a daily basis.

"Are you suggesting that workers shouldn't have the right to withdraw their labour?"

In the case of nationally important transport systems, yes, I am. In America, rail workers may not withdraw their labour until all available dispute processes - including arbitration have been exhausted. Whilst these processes are ongoing, trains must continue to run.

On this morning's radio 4 'Today' programme the leader of the Southern rail drivers' union refused to say that strikes would be called off, even if his Union accepted a new offer of talks with employers.

"Would you sack the franchisee as was suggested in an interview this morning?"

Not because drivers are striking, no I wouldn't.

"Perhaps you'd sack the Transport Minister for being ineffective?" No, I don't believe that it is the job of government to intervene in industrial disputes between employers and unions. That mistake has been made in the past.

Forum Editor 09:35 13 Dec 2016

spider9~2

"Easy to see which side of this dispute one is on!!"

Absolutely - One is on the side of commonsense, and the passengers who are being deliberately deprived of transport to work. One is on the side of the 300,000 people who use this railway every day, and one is especially on their side when a cynical union decides to penalise the customers just before Christmas, when it knows there will be lots more people wanting to travel into London to visit shows, see the lights, and do their Christmas shopping.

Forum Editor 09:42 13 Dec 2016

morddwyd

**"Agreed, but the "one size fits all" will not do. There are many local factors to be taken into account"**

One size fits the rest of the country, where Driver Operated trains run on a daily basis. One size fits Southern Railways, where 40% of their trains already run on a Driver Operated basis. One size fits Transport For London, which operates Driver Operated Trains over the whole of the London Underground system, safely carrying 1.34 billion passengers each year.

I invite you to explain your assertion that there are "many local factors to take into account" - what local factors are those?

Forum Editor 09:55 13 Dec 2016

spider9~2

"...instead they went to court (and LOST!), which I presume means the Unions must have a case?"

GTR went to court on the basis that the action called by Aslef infringed rights (of passengers to travel) under European law. The court ruled against that appeal, and I agree with the ruling. That was what the court had to decide - the infringement of rights matter.

It had nothing to do with the union having 'case' to strike, and in fact the judge criticised the union's actions. It was simply a ruling against the employer's claim that the strike was illegal.

"People are always inconvenienced by any strike action, but " making life a misery", come on!! Tell that to kids in Aleppo."

What a ludicrous comment to make - you should be ashamed of it. We're discussing a rail strike in Southern England, and its effect on the travelling public.

morddwyd 10:06 13 Dec 2016

"I invite you to explain your assertion that there are "many local factors to take into account" - what local factors are those?"

I don't know. I am no more a transport expert for every area of the country than you are.

I do know that there are two sides in any dispute.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?