Diesel cars now bad, following earlier Government

john bunyan 16:55 31 Jan 2017

My last few cars have been diesel, following the Government encouragement. Also my wife prefers automatic transmission. Our latest is a Masda CX - 5 2.2 auto. 3 years ago the emissions spec was very good. If we replace it ( a medium SUV such as the CX - 5, Toyota RAV 4 , or Honda CR - V) there seems to be none with petrol automatics. Any views?

x123 17:26 31 Jan 2017

Ford do a petrol 4wd Kuga in automatic drive.

Belatucadrus 18:28 31 Jan 2017

Skoda do a Yeti with petrol and DSG auto box only problem is if you wand 4wd you need to go for the top spec Laurin & Klement version.

john bunyan 18:56 31 Jan 2017

Thanks; I did look at the Kuga, and Yeti but would like one of the 3 I mentioned. I wonder why they do not offer auto petrol? The whole diesel issue seems very confusing. I can understand HGV's, buses are big Nitrous Oxide emitters but thought the modern cars with platinum filters are OK?

x123 19:07 31 Jan 2017

A lot of desiel cars now use an additive called adblue. This turns the toxic Nitrous Oxide into Nitrogen and Oxygen particles.

I think, but don't take it a gospel :-)

bumpkin 19:08 31 Jan 2017

Give the Kuga a miss if not already done so.

Burn-it 16:19 01 Feb 2017

Nitrogen and Water not Oxygen, but it is a delicate reaction that only works fully if the temperature is within a narrow range. It also relies on the adblue being there and not all engine management systems close the power down to "LIMP HOME" mode if it is missing.

x123 18:42 01 Feb 2017

Quite right Burn-it

Turning noxious fumes into harmless nitrogen and h2o.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)