Did the earth move for you?

oresome 16:40 26 Oct 2018

Well perhaps you live near a fracking site. Lancashire has suffered its 12th tremor since fracking started two weeks ago.

Is it a suitable technology for this highly populated island?

The practice has been banned in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, the Netherlands and Germany.

click here

Cymro. 13:41 27 Oct 2018

Some facts and figures would be handy on this one. Such as how many people have been in any way badly affected by Fracking in other parts of the world. We are still a very long way from any sort of readily and widely available carbon free energy. So oil and dare I say it even coal will still be used for many years to come. For now we need every bit of energy we can get out of the ground.

john bunyan 14:40 27 Oct 2018

The current rule is a limit of 0.5 on the Richter scale before pausing for a day or so. That is a bit less than a nearby pile driving operation would cause. See

Fracking rules

wee eddie 14:46 27 Oct 2018

I think that we should leave it in the ground, so that we can use it when everybody else has run out

MJS WARLORD 15:14 27 Oct 2018

I live near to junction 30 of the M1 motorway , a group called ineos is planning to do fracking about 4 miles from me at a place called marsh lane. The outcry that erupted when this was announced was unbelievable but expected. A local farmer sold a field to the company for £10,000. The village is full of homes that people cant sell now that the project has been approved. One person bought a house then the next day fracking was announced and she lost 30k on the value of her property overnight. Their are only 2 companies in the whole country that can handle waste water from fracking. This will generate over 100 lorry movements per day on local roads , this will in turn produce lots of dust , noise and vibration to properties.

The main concern for people has been highlighted in the first posting by orsome , that being tremors.

Another major concern is that the area has lots of old coal mine workings in the area , what happens when vibration causes them to collapse.

FACT... any fracking company can do up to 100 bore holes before they have to declare they have done 100 test bores. They then have to re apply for a "production" fracking licence but , who is keeping count

Quickbeam 15:21 27 Oct 2018

Let's just go nuclear.

MJS WARLORD 16:16 27 Oct 2018

I don't understand the mentality of planners in this country , on holiday I was talking to some people from new zeland , I told them I lived near a chemical plant , it was built AFTER the houses. Apparently in new zeland and a few other countries they do it the opposite way round. Industry is built then local authorities decide how close homes should be placed near them.

Forum Editor 16:30 27 Oct 2018

"Apparently in new zeland and a few other countries they do it the opposite way round. Industry is built then local authorities decide how close homes should be placed near them."

UK average population density = 259 people per square kilometre.

New Zealand average density = 15 people per square kilometre.

We are the 21st most densely populated country in the world - we don't have the very low population density that they have in New Zealand - they can afford to plan their infrastructure in an entirely different way.

MJS WARLORD 16:42 27 Oct 2018

Hi FE the point I was trying to make was who and why was a chemical plant allowed to be built in a densely populated area , it had 2 near misses in its life but that was 2 too many but its been pulled down now , can you remember what happened at flixborough.

A joint in a flexible pipe moved up and down instead of sideways until it broke then BOOOOOOOOOM !

Forum Editor 17:01 27 Oct 2018

"MJS WARLORD"

"can you remember what happened at flixborough."

I was five miles away on the day of the Flixborough explosion so yes, I remember it. That had nothing whatever to do with fracking though.

There is far too much uninformed panic surrounding the fracking business.

Each year in the UK we get several hundred earth tremors, most of which - like the ones in Lancashire - are very minor. Every two years on average we get a magnitude 4 tremor, and a magnitude 5 one comes along every ten or twenty years. They are real earthquakes that are widely experienced. Some forum members might recall one that occurred late on night a number of years ago when some of us were up late, debating something of interest - my house shook for a couple of seconds and forum members over a wide area posted about it.

Despite these tremors people continue to sell houses, roads don't crack open, there are no tsunamis, and life goes on normally because almost all of the tremors are never felt by anyone at the surface.

In America, About half of the crude oil production now comes from fracking, as does two thirds of the country's gas. It's a huge business, and it has been going on for some time.

That's unlikely to be the case in this country because to be successful, fracking has to take place in the right geological areas. Generally speaking, that means the underlying rock must be shale, and in the UK that means Southern England - the Weald basin between the North and South downs- for oil, and the Bowland shale in Lancashire and Yorkshire for gas.

The real cause for concern with fracking is not earthquakes but water contamination from badly managed sites.

Cymro. 10:51 28 Oct 2018

F.E. There is far too much uninformed panic surrounding the fracking business.

Yes and much the same with nuclear energy.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?