Did the Earth Move for You?

oresome 16:35 17 Feb 2018

Shaking has been reported across south Wales, the south-west of England and the Midlands, but there have been no reports of serious damage or injuries.

click here

flycatcher1 17:31 17 Feb 2018

A Grandson in Bristol reported a tremor of 4.7 what ever they are .

Belatucadrus 18:13 17 Feb 2018

Missed it completely I'm afraid.

bumpkin 18:23 17 Feb 2018

Serious shaking here this morning but didn't notice anything last night when I was drinking the Remy.

Aitchbee 18:36 17 Feb 2018

Yes, I moved a lot of earth from my verandah today, with a little help from my wee brother ;o]

Al94 19:21 17 Feb 2018

My wife said so but it was a few decades ago

canarieslover 07:58 18 Feb 2018

Once experienced one 6.8) while on holiday in Zante. Frightened the he'll out of my wife who was in the shower at the time. Best bit was that the hotel staff all ran outside without warning us. Even the aftershocks felt a bit disturbing the next day. We were due to fly out a couple of days later and the queues at the airport were miles long. There was standing room only in the departure lounge where so many people were panicking to get away from the island. Not funny then but I can laugh at it now.

Cymro. 11:52 18 Feb 2018

It wasn't much of an earthquake anyway. There have been bigger once over the years. The biggest was I think back in the late 70s. early 80s. That was also in Wales but up North. I never heard anything so perhaps it was just a "slow news" sort of day. A case of that or even more bloody Winter Olympics.

Cymro. 12:43 18 Feb 2018

BBC link

See what the BBC made of it all.

Forum Editor 22:41 18 Feb 2018

I vividly remember sitting up late one night, in the earlier days of the forum when suddenly my desk shook appreciably for a second or two.

Within minutes, several forum members had posted 'did you feel that?' messages. I think the epicentre was somewhere in the midlands, but I definitely felt it in London.

On average, there are between 20 and 30 earth tremors that are felt by people somewhere in the UK, and a further few hundred that are not felt, but are detected by sensitive siesmometers.

Quickbeam 23:07 18 Feb 2018

I remember that one, I was woken up by what sounded like someone in the wardrobe violently trying to get out. It lasted for a few seconds and there was a low down grunting vibration from the house itself.

I went online to post too, but it was 30 minutes or so later as the internet was down, or overloaded!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?