Detail accuracy on TV programmes.

flycatcher1 23:27 12 Mar 2016

I realise that I can be a pedant on this subject but why do TV Producers make little effort to get military details right on TV Programmes.

My wife is hooked on "Call the Midwife", not my scene but I glanced up during the last epoisode and saw a Police Sergeant with his WW2 Medals in the wrong order. Victory Medal, Defence Medal and then the 1939-45 Star.

A friend of mine complained to a TV Producer that a DFC was incorrectly portrayed. The petulant TV man asked how he knew - Ken said "Because I have one"!

My Medals are always in the right order, after 40 years I only received one and that came up with the rations.

bremner 08:29 13 Mar 2016

Television drama is there to entertain not provide accuracy.

Ask any policeman, fireman, nurse, doctor etc etc.

There are many more serious things to worry about than the order of gongs on someones chest

morddwyd 08:57 13 Mar 2016

"Television drama is there to entertain"

A questionable concept!

"There are many more serious things to worry about "

That surely de[ends on who is doing the worrying?

RV510 10:00 13 Mar 2016

At times we all observe inaccuracies in TV programmes, props being out of period and other such things. We that know what should or should not be there or the order that certain things should be in which to me makes it even more interesting but the majority of viewers would never notice such things if they didn't know. Being 'true' to the period is important to the programme producers but they won't always get it right, probably because the production staff are far too young to remember or don't have the knowledge of the everyday things of the time and there's very few people left alive that can tell them how things actually were and should be.

morddwyd 13:33 13 Mar 2016

"there's very few people left alive that can tell them how things actually were and should be." But there are quite a few alive who can tell them that there weren't electric cables running down walls in Henry VIII's time!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 13 Mar 2016

or jet trails in the yorkshire skies in Jane Austen's time

john bunyan 15:28 13 Mar 2016

On today's Andrew Marr show, Freddie Forsyth was wearing a Special Forces Club tie ...

Old Deuteronomy 16:26 13 Mar 2016

My partner studied Tudor history at "A" level and has maintained an interest in history. She can pick more holes in historical programmes, not just films but serious documentaries, than there are holes in a Tetley teabag.

Forum Editor 08:30 14 Mar 2016

My son has a friend who works for a TV production company. She says that they go to a lot of trouble to get costume details right, but it's virtually impossible to achieve 100% accuracy.

The producers are well aware that there will always be someone who picks up on minor details, but - as has already been mentioned - the primary aim is to create an entertaining drama rather than a museum-standard of accuracy. It just isn't necessary, and it would ramp up production costs.

BT 08:47 14 Mar 2016

..the primary aim is to create an entertaining drama rather than a museum-standard of accuracy.

But they do need to get things right. There was a historical drama series a couple of years ago set in the middle ages (can't remember the name now) supposedly about the time of Robin Hood, with an obviously extensive budget, and there were so many costume errors. One supposedly upper class woman was wearing what appeared to be very modern stilleto style shoes pale cream in colour, and you could see very obvious signs of Bra straps showing through her costume.

In the same series there was one location which seemed to be lit with multiple gas jets emanating from a rectangular metal pipe arrangement set above the gaming table. Definitely wrong.

Old Deuteronomy 10:35 14 Mar 2016

the primary aim is to create an entertaining drama rather than a museum-standard of accuracy. It just isn't necessary, and it would ramp up production costs.

My partner never misses an opportunity to correct historical or cooking based programmes and it can get a bit irritating, however, I'm just as bad with science programmes, especially physics, so there you are...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique