Decorating may have saved my life.

  Blackhat 20:22 27 Dec 2011

Doing the kitchen this break and after stripping wall paper I was tidying up and could hear a buzzing sound, first thoughts were of an insect caught in the paper on the floor but after clearing up could still hear it.

What had happened was that water from stripping the paper had dropped onto the gas pipe that led to my cooker and a small leak was causing the water to bubble creating the buzzing sound!

How lucky was that? It is a very small leak at the site of a connection and could have been leaking for a long time but you cannot tell, anyway, gas off at meter for now.

Query, do I call British Gas or a local engineer? Probably covered on house insurance but need to check.

  Al94 20:27 27 Dec 2011

Inside the property I would think a local engineer

  birdface 20:39 27 Dec 2011

If one leaking there may be a possibility that there are others leaking also.

I know British gas can do a leak test at the meter to find out if there is still gas leaking when that fault has been repaired.I would imagine the Local engineer would be able to do the same but may not have the proper equipment with him.

Ask the Local engineer if he can also do the leek test at the meter just to be in the safe side.

  peter99co 21:15 27 Dec 2011

Very lucky break you had.

  lotvic 21:33 27 Dec 2011

Local Engineer, it's on your side of gas meter.

I had similar leak on a pipe to gas fire in a previous property, they are hard to trace.

  Aitchbee 21:34 27 Dec 2011

After I bought my council house,several years ago, a yearly gas check, is now my responsibility to arrange and pay for.

I haven't had one done for two years.

Who else is in this situation?

  BRYNIT 21:52 27 Dec 2011

A local engineer is what you need, make sure they are Gas safe registered. They will have the equipment and should always do a gas pressure test at the meter after any pipe work is done.

You can find a gas safe engineer from Click here you can also check an engineers gas safe licence number by clicking on check gas engineer to the right.

  lotvic 22:05 27 Dec 2011

AitchBEE, I hope no-one else is in same situation.

  Woolwell 22:11 27 Dec 2011

AitchBEE - An annual gas service/safety check is essential. People can die from carbon monoxide poisoning. As lotvic says no-one should be in that situation.

Blackhat - A Gas safety local engineer is what I would use. One with personal recommendations and not purely from the gas safe site. He or she will have the right equipment to check for any other leaks.

  Forum Editor 23:10 27 Dec 2011

Checking for gas leaks on pipe joints (they usually occur at compression joints) is a relatively easy process. Get an empty liquid soap bottle and put an inch of washing up liquid into it. Then add an inch of water and shake gently.

Squirt a little of the resulting mixture onto the suspect joint and watch - you'll see large bubbles forming and bursting if there's a leak.

  Blackhat 23:25 27 Dec 2011

Thanks all for advice, I have website for local gas guys, will see to it in the morning,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

8 digital brands that designed custom typefaces to save millions

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?