Dead teenager to be cryogenically preserved

Old Deuteronomy 09:56 18 Nov 2016
Answered

From the BBC.

I believe cryogenic storage of dead people needs to be stopped. Companies offering this service are charging a lot of money, giving people false hope whilst they make fat profits. Even if, at some time in the future, a dead body can be resurrected, the brain has stopped. The resurrected cadaver will have no past knowledge, no memories and the person is gone. The brain, IF it can be made to work again, won't even remember how to make the body function.

HondaMan 10:03 18 Nov 2016

The resurrected cadaver will have no past knowledge, no memories and the person is gone. The brain, IF it can be made to work again, won't even remember how to make the body function.

You speaking from experience?

daz60 10:08 18 Nov 2016

No doubt people have thought all future medical practice's to be false or only sci fi but imagine if in the future a chip carrying all the functionality of a brain was inserted and this cadaver was resurrected.Personality , intelligence and memories now that would be something.

oresome 11:07 18 Nov 2016

I don't wish to appear insensitive, but assuming for one moment that the procedure was viable some time in the future, what would be the point of preserving one human life unless it had something exceptional to offer mankind?

The nearest and dearest to the deceased will likely be long gone themselves and the reinstated body will eventually be thrust into a strange new world with no family ties and a population that is by then bursting at the seams.

BT 11:23 18 Nov 2016

Even if resurrection was possible, which I very much doubt, apart from the initial cost, there will presumably be an ongoing cost. If it stops being paid which is more than likely, what will then happen. I assume the body would then be removed from the facility and disposed of in a conventional manner, thereby negating any possible ressurection.

OTT_B 12:30 18 Nov 2016

From the article:

Simon Woods, an expert in medical ethics from Newcastle University, thinks the whole idea is science fiction. He said: "The diagnosis of death is that death is irreversible......

That pretty much seems to hit the nail on the head.

bumpkin 13:21 18 Nov 2016

Until it is done if it ever can be, we will not know the answers. All we can do now is make guesses based on today's available knowledge.

Brumas 14:02 18 Nov 2016

If Mary Shelley was alive today she would, no doubt, write a sequel to Frankenstein, the connotations are pretty much the same!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 18 Nov 2016

how many stories have we read about bodies frozen in ice and resurrected years later?

Classic 60s TV Adam Adament

Classic SciFi - The thing from another world

Forum Editor 14:16 18 Nov 2016

The one thing that all of us has is an absolute right of ownership of our own body - with certain limitations we can do what we like with it.

Nobody knows for sure whether cryogenics will enable future revival of a dead person or whether it is a complete waste of time and money, although medical opinions are generally negative.

Cryogenic preservation is not illegal, and I can see no valid reason to outlaw the process, any more than I can see a reason to outlaw religions which promise people eternal life in a place called heaven.

A person's beliefs are sacrosanct, and as long as nobody tries to compel me to share them I cannot see a problem.

Belatucadrus 14:32 18 Nov 2016

If it doesn't have a Busby Berkeley routine in it I'm not interested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Amy Cesal's Play-Doh infographics bring fun and colour to datavis

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Modifier un PDF : les meilleurs éditeurs PDF