Daylight Saving

Quickbeam 07:38 30 Oct 2013

Does anyone actually benefit from this so called twice a year daylight saving farce?

There was a talk-in on late night radio about it the other night, apparently there is a handful of diehard MPs that keep blocking any moves to permanently adopt BST with no changes despite polls saying that the vast majority of us plebs (including the Scottish plebs) would like to dump the clock switching pantomime. Most of the phone-inners expressed a positive use for the daylight being available in the late afternoon to carry on health pursuits like running and biking before the daylight finally faded in it's own sweet time. Sports bodies thought that that would have a more positive effect on the nations health over the winter, and psychologisty people thought that the sudden dive into winter depression wasn't good at all for us.

So just who benefits? I probably do as I rise with the sun at this time of the year and have already been around the park with the dog, but the rest of the regular dog walkers are still tucked up in bed as I walk past their houses on the way, so they're all losing an hour hour of valuable daylight. But I'd sooner have the darkness descent gradually on us, after all, we're only tricking ourselves that there's more to be had, there's no more daylight to be found or saved than the orbit of our planet dictates we have.

Forum Editor 22:45 30 Oct 2013

One tangible benefit of daylight saving is reduced power consumption. It's a fact that businesses benefit in terms of cost-saving, and so, to a lesser extent, do we.

Several studies in the UK have shown that Daylight saving reduces the number of road traffic accidents by just under one percent, although there's an upward blip in the number of pedestrian-related accidents in the first weeks after the clocks go back in the autumn.

QuizMan 23:35 30 Oct 2013

William Willett, the advocate of daylight saving, is well known locally as he was a resident near where I live. There is a memorial sundial erected in his honour and my local boozer is the Daylight Inn.

William Willett

Quickbeam 00:30 31 Oct 2013

Any reduced power consumption by a factory not needing lights on in the morning, must surely be negated by the employees turning their domestic lights on when they get home.

spuds 11:07 31 Oct 2013

Aitchbee

My two local bookies open at the same time every day (including Sundays), no matter what the time of year. Closing is a different matter, depending what's on, and how the punter's are being friendly :O)

Aitchbee 20:46 31 Oct 2013

spuds, some of the bleedin' 'orses I back, start 'orf at ten-to-one ... but, only 'come-in' when it begins to get dark.

morddwyd 08:10 01 Nov 2013

Because we were never conquered by Napoleon, who introduced the practice!

Condom 23:27 01 Nov 2013

I still think it is a good idea but it is causing a few problems when I am communication with my friends in Thailand as it is now nearer 1 am there before we get a chance to chat.

carver 13:03 02 Nov 2013

Accident rates go up in winter after the clocks are altered, children being at more risk because of poor day light at the closing of schools.

enter link description here

Motorists drive better when starting to drive in the dark and light increases rather than the other way round, one reason being that headlights are used from the start of the journey.

Energy consumption would decrease because of the lighter nights by about 2%, not a lot but everything counts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?