the day the earth stood still..!

perpetual motion 17:54 17 Dec 2008

Just come back from seeing this film, i wasnt expecting much due to the critic reviews there is, i also didnt go there intending to watch a Die Hard action movie, what i got was one of the best & most to the point films ive ever seen, it was intresting all the way through & it wasnt spoilt by some action hero holding a sub machine gun trying to save the earth, to be honest apart from the fact they was some 12 yr olds spoiling parts by screeming in the audience i enjoyed EVERY minute!

my wife cried in the film towards the end & i must be honest i had a lump in my throat, it was very itresting some of the points made in it & Keanu Reeves played his best performance ive ever seen him in...

If you want to see it i hope this helps... 10/10...

Forum Editor 18:08 17 Dec 2008

but not on most of the film critics - it received a lukewarm reception, and was compared unfavourably with the original 1951 version.

egapup 18:37 17 Dec 2008

"most of the film critics - it received a lukewarm reception"
Who cares, we're all differant, one mans poison.....

The Brigadier 18:39 17 Dec 2008

The day i married Mrs Brigadier.

perpetual motion 18:44 17 Dec 2008

The Brigadier" lovely!! just lovely.!!!

FE as egapup stated we are all differant...its still a damn good film...

perpetual motion 18:46 17 Dec 2008

The problem with "film critics" they watch EVERY movie out so there expectations tend to be way to high & they overlook some of the more important points.! whereas im more of a average fella that goes to the cinema once/twice a month max...

Legolas 18:51 17 Dec 2008

I always go by this formula

critics recommend a film = I will hate it
critics pan a film = I will love it

Works for me. So going by this formula I will go and see this film.

Forum Editor 19:00 17 Dec 2008

rather than what you think I said. I didn't say it wasn't a good film, I said the critics didn't like it as much as you did.
It has been compared unfavourably with the original version. 'Variety', a much-respected film resource, says this about it:

"This botched remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" seriously dishonors the seriously fine 1951 sci-fi landmark on which it's based. Decent opening biz will surely plummet once the holidays pass."

Each to his own, as you say, but I think I'll be giving this one a miss.

perpetual motion 20:19 17 Dec 2008

FE np's but it realy is a decent film.. to compare it i would think the film "Contact" with Jodie Foster" or close encounters of the third kind...but thats just my oppinion..

AL47 20:37 17 Dec 2008

i more often than not dislike films which win awards and love ones that dont,

thats how i use critics reviews

laurie53 20:46 17 Dec 2008

I have seen very few modern remakes which compare favourably with original versions once you look past the better image quality and modern special effects.

Since I saw the original I know the ending, so I'll give this one a miss!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?