Hot Topics

The dangers of social media

Al94 17:53 29 Jan 2020

This is a very sad end to a long career for a well liked and highly respected broadcaster, I have no idea what he posted on Twitter but it may well be that those of us who are older are more likely to be brutally honest rather then politically correct. Hope he has an enjoyable well earned retirement or whatever he chooses to do.

Al94 18:05 29 Jan 2020

Actually I now see what the alleged issue was. During a Twitter exchange Stewart quoted Shakespeare “But man, proud man, Dress'd in a little brief authority, Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd— His glassy essence—like an angry ape Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven As makes the angels weep; who, with our spleens, Would all themselves laugh mortal.” Sadly the black man he was in the exchange with took offence at the ape reference.

Gordon Freeman 20:20 29 Jan 2020

Such is the world in which we sadly live.

However, given what I've just said, you would have thought, as a journo, & based on your find as being accurate, he might have been more diligent & careful with the selection of text used in his response.

Trying to be clever & came unstuck by the sound of it.

Not the first nor the last I suspect to suffer such a fate.

qwbos 00:30 30 Jan 2020

Such is the world in which we sadly live.

Made even more confusing when terms that are considered derogatory an/or racist, or whatever, when used across cohort boundaries are apparently considered acceptable when used within a cohort.

Forum Editor 17:54 01 Feb 2020

"it may well be that those of us who are older are more likely to be brutally honest rather then politically correct."

And to use another Shakespeare quote "there's the rub"

'Brutally honest' is often a euphemism for 'offensive'. I'm not sure that being older really has anything to do with it. We all inhabit the same world, and nobody can justify making offensive remarks by saying 'It's OK, I'm old and I'm just being brutally honest'.

That said, I do feel that Alastair Stewart has been shabbily treated over this. Even the man who was offended has said that he would have accepted an apology - he didn't want his complaint to bring about the end of a career.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Can you see the bottle in this Coke ad?

New iPhone 12 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs drones pas chers (2020)