Hot Topics

Dame Vera Lynn passes over

john bunyan 12:39 18 Jun 2020
Answered

Vera Lynn has died at 103! RIP - played her songs on VE Day.

Vera Lynn

Brumas 12:51 18 Jun 2020

After reading her autobiography you realise there was more to her than just a unique voice and staunch patriotism. RIP.

Govan1x 13:18 18 Jun 2020

My Grand Daughter informed me this morning she is only 23yrs old and listened to her songs for as long as I can remember.

So not only a sad loss to our own golden Oldies but to some of the younger generation as well.

Watched her 1st film she made on TV about 3 weeks ago. And watched it to the very end.

The rumours were that she started world war 2 so that she could sell all of her records. Of course it was only a joke.

Her most famous record I suppose.

click here

x13 15:18 18 Jun 2020

Sad news indeed. The lady reached a wonderful age.

morddwyd 19:37 18 Jun 2020
Answer

One gets used to reading of the loss of icons of our youth, but this time a real sense of sorrow and personal loss, like that of an old and close friend.

Thank you, Dame Vera. You were singing before I was born, but your voice was as important to me in Aden as it was to my Desert Rat uncle some fifteen years earlier.

Forum Editor 17:33 19 Jun 2020

I once went with my father to the pub in the Welsh village where he was born - they staged a WW11 forces reunion night there for people who came from the area.

At the close, they played 'we'll meet again' and a hundred or so Welsh voices sang along - my father had tears rolling down his face, and he wasn't the only one.

On the way back to our hotel he said to me 'Vera helped us win the war - it will be a sad day when she goes' and so it is.

morddwyd 10:18 20 Jun 2020

It's sometimes overlooked that she was a massive hit with another generation after the war.

Aur Wiedersehen,on which my brother is part of the audience that sings with her, was played every week by Jean Metcalfe and Cliff Michelmore.

I had it on both 78 and 45.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

LG gram 14 (2020) review

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

'Price rise' for iPhone 12 despite lack of accessories

Les meilleurs smartphones Xiaomi (2020)