Curbs on Fixed Odds Betting Terminals Delayed

oresome 19:50 01 Nov 2018

And as a result sports minister Tracey Crouch resigned today.

The maximum bet is being reduced from £100 to £2, but this will have a large impact on betting shops profitability and income for the treasury, so implementation is being delayed to allow the industry time to adjust.

My question is, should we have a nanny state dictating how much we bet to help protect a minority that find gambling addictive?

click here

wee eddie 20:23 01 Nov 2018

I'm behind Tracey on this. Any delay on implementation will benefit the Gambling Industry, not the punters

john bunyan 20:51 01 Nov 2018

I heard on the radio a harrowing story from a mother whose son got hooked on this whilst at 17 at school where he luckily won 2 x 500 pounds in a week. Is addiction went on and off until he killed himself at age 24. Other suicides are not uncommon, each affecting maybe 10 or more close friends and relatives. The sooner this new measure is introduced the better

Old Deuteronomy 21:06 01 Nov 2018

I'm behind Tracey on this. Any delay on implementation will benefit the Gambling Industry, not the punters

Couldn't have put it better.

Aitchbee 22:31 01 Nov 2018

The bookies don't know how to or have any intentions of cutting back on their incessant greed ... the punter is bamboozled with horse-racing, virtual horse-racing, dog-racing, virtual dog-racing non-stop from 9am to 9pm etc, etc, etc. I could go on!

... it's definitely the major high street bookies that have the serious gambling addiction.

I'll probably get barred now from my local, so be it ;o/

I'm on Tracey's side, btw.

Aitchbee 22:37 01 Nov 2018

I'll probably get barred now

... what's the betting on that?

Flat Earther 03:38 02 Nov 2018

"I'll probably get barred now"

and miss out on all that benefit money you hand over, I doubt it. Those that earn it tend to keep hold of it. Who else spends their days in the bookies.

Quickbeam 06:15 02 Nov 2018

"... it's definitely the major high street bookies that have the serious gambling addiction."

Spot on HB, they've know for years that they've been stripping hard pressed households of much needed income from the generous donations made by hardcore gamblers that don't know when to say enough for themselves.

Quickbeam 06:19 02 Nov 2018

"My question is, should we have a nanny state dictating..."

It's not really any different to landlords being responsible for not serving people that are much the worse for excess alcohol or the police stopping us from speeding excessively. It's human nature to live to a personal excess without any thought for how it might affect others.

oresome 13:55 02 Nov 2018

It's not really any different to landlords being responsible for not serving people that are much the worse for excess alcohol

What if you went in the pub sober, asked for a pint and the landlord said sorry, the new measure is a fiftieth of a pint for everyone because some people can't handle a pint?

bumpkin 20:34 02 Nov 2018

What if you went in the pub sober, asked for a pint and the landlord said sorry, the new measure is a fiftieth of a pint for everyone because some people can't handle a pint?

They would have to get a lot more glasses.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL