A Cross-Triner Problem

crosstrainer 09:02 30 Aug 2008

...No, not me, but with the machine which links me to my nickname here!

Problem is: I daily use a Bremshey Orbit Competition Crosstraining machine. I have recently given it a full service, greased all points, torque settings etc.

I was given the all clear to start using it again at low levels a couple of weeks ago, but (and here is the problem)

The tension controller circuit board has gone. The company no longer supply the parts for this machine (circa 2000) so I can't find a new board to effect the required repair. The board in question is located under the front left hand cover of the machine, and is a simple "swap out" replacement.

Anyone know where I might put my hands on one (new or secondhand) ?

crosstrainer 09:02 30 Aug 2008

Must wear my glasses should read " A Cross-Trainer Problem"!

jack 09:21 30 Aug 2008

Why do I ask?
Many years ago when front loading washing machines
were the latest thing - our Hoover ceased to work.
Went to shop whence it came and here they shrugged it off as 'Sorry don't know anything about them- cant help you'
So nothing for it be to have a go my self.
Took back off and found straight away a big burn in a circuit board.
Then I had a brainwave- In my perambulations around the Tottemham Court Road area of London - I frequently passed the showroom window of Mullard the electronics firm - there they had a display of bits and pieces they made for Hoover with a Washing machine in the Window.
So I took the part in, and asked the guy- 'got anything like this?'
He took me to the window - pulled a piece off the display - whereby we examined it- it looked sort of like it except it was a hand made piece and the polarity was reversed.
Take it he said give it a whiz.
So I did- remembering to reverse the polarity when plugging it in.
That machine Fired up and continued for a number of years until its motor died.
So the moral/question is- does stuff change that much in this type of thing?
If they no longer keep parts for your exact model
what about the next one? -

crosstrainer 09:24 30 Aug 2008

Sadly, the manufacturer has "Merged" with another well known company, and spares are incompatible. I don't want to bin a perfectly good machine if I don't have to. I'm sure that someone will know, or have one sitting in a garage somewhere :)

Hope so anyway!

spuds 11:44 30 Aug 2008

Not saying its the solution, but have you got a technical college in easy reach. They might find time for one of their budding students, to do a possible repair job for you!.

crosstrainer 13:14 30 Aug 2008

I've put the meters across it, the faulty components are a transformer and a couple of capacitors....I would fix it myself, but the way the board is designed makes it impossible.

Putting a soldering iron anywhere near it will render it useless anyway!

It's one of those "Planned obsolescence things" :(

crosstrainer 13:59 30 Aug 2008

I have the manual, and part's list if that helps.

jack 14:36 30 Aug 2008

Any worse
perhaps a Technical College may be up to it as a challenge/project
After all in your own words the piece is not going to make a miraculous recovery

crosstrainer 14:38 30 Aug 2008

It's such a small component, and the machine is in A1 condition. I have a degree in electronics, so if it was repairable I would do so...

So annoying...

WhiteTruckMan 14:47 30 Aug 2008

click here

Any help?

WTM

crosstrainer 14:50 30 Aug 2008

Hi, no, unfortunately, that's the firm I purchased it from, and they have none left (common fault it seems)

Thanks anyway :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?