Credit Worthyness

Chegs ®™ 03:53 26 Feb 2010

I have managed for my whole adult life without a credit card,and have only within the last few years succumbed to a debit card.

When the car insurance needed renewing last October,I decided to borrow double the amount needed,to pay for additional items(tyres/tax/MOT,etc)

During one of my more lucid periods(I suffer badly from short term memory loss)recently,I asked my bank about obtaining a credit card and completed the application.I waited a few weeks then called in to the bank to enquire if I'd been accepted and was told the answer was a no.The bank teller suggested I check-out my credit rating,and when I explained that all my previous attempts had failed as they asked for a credit card to verify my age/address etc she informed me I could send a postal order(reading this back,I still get the impression she didn't understand my previous failures with the credit reference companies)Anyway,I returned home and tried again to sign-up for a free month with Experian and this occasion was successful as they accepted my debit card.

Back to my loan in October.In all,I have been "credit checked" by 9 companies(my bank being one)and my credit rating was "satisfactory" on most,but the loan company are claiming I've made 6 payments late in 4mths(not sure how they decided this as I pay monthly to their collector at the door)and a mail order firm state "default" I have contacted the solicitors acting on this "default" and they have stated I do not have to pay the outstanding debt as I haven't ever had a catalogue let alone ordered anything from it.They also stated that this "default" would be removed from my credit history,but it hasn't.

I have a contract mobile phone(also satisfactory)my partner has one from a different provider(also satisfactory)I can obtain loans,finance for goods etc yet cannot get a credit card from a bank.I have tried several different card providers (even ones recommended by moneysavingexpert as available to poor credit rated people)and still am told no.If I'd had a credit card last October,I could've used it to buy the insurance/tyres etc and saved myself a headache from the loan company.

Anyone suggest ways to improve my credit rating else I'll have to loan again from this same company that has manage to screw-up my recent history?

sunnystaines 07:58 26 Feb 2010

reminds me when i tried to open a savings account get refused on a credit check but the west brom refused to give details. [i wanted to save not borrow]

i had to pay for a experian report on myself which i thought was out of order. on the records was a false entry relating to someone i had never heard of at an address the other side of the country, experian refused to correct it told to contact HSBC their were not interested till i change the line to someone using a fraudulent card and after a few weeks all was sorted.

I am Spartacus 11:22 26 Feb 2010

Correct your credit rating click here

Chegs ®™ 11:58 26 Feb 2010

"If you're paying this loan off to a doorstep collector you are paying far too much in interest.

I realise that it may be hard for you to get a loan from a bank but you'll never break the cycle if you go on like this."

The doorstep loan APR is the main reason I wish to obtain a credit card,more favourable terms can be had.When I took out the loan,I wasn't in employment whereas I am now the holder of two jobs(relief truck driver & takeaway delivery driver)and intend to pay-off the outstanding loan in full as soon as possible.

Reading the linked page from I am Spartacus I seem to have started the process to correct my credit score already,though I will write letters instead of the telephone conversations I've used previously.

spuds 18:25 26 Feb 2010

Have you a local Credit Union, they might be able to help!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts