Creator of Haynes Workshop Manuals

Al94 10:14 12 Feb 2019

Has passed away. I recall referring to them decades ago to keep on the road. John Haynes

Quickbeam 12:01 12 Feb 2019

I always used to buy a Heynes book when I got a new (2nd hand) car as I did my own maintenance including crank grinds and rebores until about the mid '80s when I could afford to use a garage, and/or cars no longer needed that kind of serious maintenance at 100k miles.

My last 3 cars were bought with 40-80k on the clock and have lasted me up to 300k without the head ever coming off or any bottom end wear. I simply lost faith because of the high mileage reliability which has gone up from 80k to 300k over the last 40 years!

Quickbeam 12:09 12 Feb 2019

The last car I did proper mechanicing on was a Ford Cortina with the SOHC Pinto engine. The camshafts wore out at about 30k, the timing belt was a 1 hour job as it was rear wheel drive and I could change the clutch in a couple of hour lying on my back with only ramps.

All that's too bloody hard with front wheel drive cars that are shoehorned into the engine bay Haynes manual or not!

qwbos 13:12 12 Feb 2019

The best value dirty books ever.

qwbos 13:14 12 Feb 2019

have lasted me up to 300k

You must be lucky. Most car bodies dissolve far sooner.

Quickbeam 13:25 12 Feb 2019

Not theses days qwbos.

My first car in '74 was a 4 yer old Hilman Imp, I scrapped it in'76 with rotten wings, sills, chassis, rotten everything... I thought I'd done well to get two ywears out of it! Modern cars don't even have rust blebs after 10/12 years. Cars have never been so good for mechanical and body work longevity.

Quickbeam 13:33 12 Feb 2019

I still have that Haynes Imp manual, my first job was fitting the service kit to the Solex carburettor.

Interestingly that car could return 60+mpg at that time when a 3.8 MKll Jaguar was below 10mpg!

Old Deuteronomy 15:27 12 Feb 2019

I've had a few Haynes manuals. The last car I worked on, with the help of a manual, was a Citroën BX diesel, not half as complex as Citroën's old reputation would have you believe. Do anything on our current little Japanese car, that requires the battery to be disconnected and you need to be able to reset the management computer. The old Citroën didn't even have electronic injection.

john bunyan 17:39 12 Feb 2019

Last used the manual on a Morris Minor, side valve in about 1962. Tapper spanners ; Bendix gear on starter motor; where have distributor caps gone? Haven’t used feeler gauges for years

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 12 Feb 2019

Modern cars don't even have rust blebs after 10/12 years.

My car's bodywork is plastic. :0) had the car two years next week and all I've done is top up fuel oil and washers apart from change both front tyre tyre due to punctures.

Quickbeam's first statement exactly mirrors my use of Haynes manuals over the years.

qwbos 19:58 12 Feb 2019

Not theses days qwbos.

I'm unfortunate enough to live where the council likes to throw salt around, usually when it's least needed. Add in their liking for surface dressing the roads with instant stonechip and it reduces lifespan drastically. My 2005 Mazda 3 required extensive sill replacements last year, and that was with only about 75000 miles on the clock.

where have distributor caps gone? Haven’t used feeler gauges for years

There's still a distributor cap of sorts, but I know what you mean. I was speaking to a mechanic a while back and he reckoned most mechanics now wouldn't have a clue how to set up a contact set. I still have a set of feeler gauges with holes in them, burnt from setting the tappets on my SAAB 96. It was a V4 and the front left tappets were close enough to the battery live to make adjusting the valve clearances quite exciting if you weren't careful.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)