The correct fitting for CO2

  bumpkin 18:46 06 Aug 2014

Can anyone tell me the correct fitting to connect to a CO2 cylinder. In the past I have used an anticlockwise thing about 20mm. The one I have now has something like 15mm connection but I cant find a thread that fits.

  Forum Editor 22:29 06 Aug 2014

Please take care. CO2 is bottled under pressure, and many people have suffered serious injury messing about with connectors.

  wee eddie 22:29 06 Aug 2014

Bumpkin: It depends on what the CO2 is for

  wee eddie 22:46 06 Aug 2014

What I can not understand is that you haven't got a connection with pressure gauges and regulators, which is why I asked what it is for

  bumpkin 10:05 07 Aug 2014

wee eddie, I wish to use CO2 as a freezing agent, something I have done in the past and have the appropriate kit. Not used it for years but as I remember the kit screwed directly onto the gas bottle. I obtained a replacement full bottle about 8yrs ago and have not wished to use it until now. I find that the kit does not have the same connector as required by the new bottle. Possibly the original had an adaptor of some kind although I can't see the purpose of that. If that was the case then it certainly was not big enough to have been a regulator.

  bumpkin 14:59 07 Aug 2014

Had a closer examination of the thread on the outlet valve, it looks exactly like 1/2" MI but 1/2" FI will not fit so it is not. Also it is a normal RH screw thread and not LH as I originally thought. Looking on the web for info I have failed to find out what the thread is called or where to get a fitting, something that I would have thought would be simple, perhaps it is me that is simple:-))

  wee eddie 16:05 07 Aug 2014

My guess is that because of the age of the kit, its thread is Imperial and the Bottle's Thread is Metric.

Sorry, no solution though.

  bumpkin 16:41 07 Aug 2014

wee eddie, thanks for the reply. Further research says it is Whitworth 0.869 x 14 TPI which I understand, just a matter of finding a connector now which I should be able to do, thanks for trying to help .

  bumpkin 17:42 07 Aug 2014

Having no luck here, I require W 0.860 x 14 PTI female connector (BS 341 No8) to go to anything with a standard thread as used in plumbing.

  spuds 18:37 07 Aug 2014

Not saying its going to be the answer, but I would suggest you try somewhere like Machine Mart or the local trade counter specialising in this type of product.

With regards to pressurised cylinders. I once witnessed the aftermath of an incident involving a cylinder 'going-off'. Not a very pleasant sight. Took a wall down and killed a person.

  bumpkin 19:16 07 Aug 2014

spuds, thanks for the advice. Being realistic there must be millions of CO2 bottles in use so why can I not find a connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Moleskine launches limited edition Lord of the Rings notebook collection

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?