computer gear doing strange things

MJS WARLORD 10:43 16 Sep 2018

in tech help I posted a thread " corsair keyboard doing strange things"

if you dont want to read the post I basically said after I turned house mains off to do some work , this happened , when I turned my pc on all the keyboard lights scrolled and I could not type. This was the corsair reply

Hello Keith,

Sorry to hear that. Regarding your issue with power, it is related to features of your motherboard. Some motherboards, such as your's, include features such as always on USB ports which can cause issues such as this. I would suggest double checking your BIOS to see if it can be disabled on certain ports or use ports that do not have it if they are available. When the keyboard receives power without a data connection, the demo mode will run and it cannot be turned off.

Over the years I have seen or heard of other examples of pc oddities , in 2003 I read a weird thig that windows had a segment of classical music hidden in it , many months later I was using word and I swear I heard some music and yes I was sober.

can any of you remember the paper clip help wizard in word , if you chose to use that wizard it use to run around the screen making a tapping noise on the glass but if you clicked it , it did not actually do anything. It was an april fool gag that Microsoft hid in an update.

HAVE any of you had any computers or peripherals do odd or unexplained things.

Pine Man 10:49 16 Sep 2018

HAVE any of you had any computers or peripherals do odd or unexplained things

Back in the days of Windows 3 I would occasionally turn my PC on...................................................and it would work!!!

MJS WARLORD 11:09 16 Sep 2018

the phrase "Microsoft help" is an oxymoron , an oxymoron is a word or phrase that means the opposite and as you know Microsoft does not help !

lotvic 16:02 16 Sep 2018

I do not agree that "Microsoft help" is an oxymoron.

BTW I used to use the Word paperclip wizard and when clicked on, its help features worked fine for me.

lotvic 16:23 16 Sep 2018

Clippy was not an april fool gag that Microsoft hid in an update, however I did prefer 'Merlin' and sometimes the yappy puppy :)

bumpkin 20:13 16 Sep 2018

Back in the days of Windows 3 I would occasionally turn my PC on...................................................and it would work!!!

I had the same strange experience with W95 once.

MJS WARLORD 23:09 16 Sep 2018

I dont like to admit this but i once had a pc running vista , microsoft took so long to try and get it to work that the origonal name ..... longhorn ! was dropped in the hope that nobody would notice what they did but of course everyone knew what they done

Forum Editor 18:01 17 Sep 2018

MJS WARLORD

"Microsoft does not help !"

Microsoft helps thousands of people every day - the company recently helped me to resolve a particularly thorny problem.

Please be careful about making sweeping that you can't substantiate.

bumpkin 18:08 17 Sep 2018

I find the members here more helpful than the Microsoft site but I suppose it depends on ones problem.

Aitchbee 18:31 17 Sep 2018

"Microsoft does not help !"

I wonder why there are no Microsoft Repair Shops on the high street like those Apple I-Repair Shops? I haven't seen any of the former. They [Microsoft] would make a fortune.

Forum Editor 18:36 17 Sep 2018

"I wonder why there are no Microsoft Repair Shops on the high street like those Apple I-Repair Shops?"

Traditionally, Microsoft didn't make computers, so repair shops would have had nothing to repair - Apple did (and does) make computers, and much else besides.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs