companies break their own advice.

MJS WARLORD 11:46 06 May 2018

We are constantly being told by companies to protect our id such as don't give out email details , passwords or in the case of games , our user names. If my own experiences are anything to go by the very same companies who tell us to protect our details are the ones who cause us problems in the first place. Here are a few examples...…

I wanted to re-install a game but kept getting told the email was already in use , it was ! , BY ME.... I set up a gmail address just for that very well known game. Not long after I started getting emails from companies greeting me with hello name or hello game tag.The point is I have never had dealings with these people so its obvious where my information came from.

I also get the same from companies I have never used , some even say hello game tag , using a tag I have not used for years.

From 1 single incident that snowballed I have removed the gmail address from my pc as I was getting about 50 a day.

People say make your password as complicated as possible so why wont some let you use a mix of upper and lower case. Even if you got the most difficult password ever it would eventually get hacked because machines not people crack them.

There are lots of backdoors for people to use to gain information about you. For example if I told you of a certain tag I use and you typed it into a browser you will see links to every game site, forum or review that I have ever contributed to. That said , if you tried to read the same details on the individual sites you would not be able to unless you had an account with them.... try this , type your own game tag or a user name into a browser and see what comes up.

Their is a more serious downside to all this , I recently changed my bank and they said they would send me regular emails about my account etc..... I told them I would not open anything from them because I got fake emails from them even before I was a customer of theirs so how would I know if it was still fake or genuine.

WARNING... just in case an email from somebody is fake NEVER ring the number shown.

bumpkin 14:53 06 May 2018

Even more sinister I find is when you visit a doctor or hospital. Not long before the spam relating to your particular issue starts arriving. Strange coincidence, I think not as I had never heard from these people before.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 06 May 2018

bumpkin

that's why you should have "opted out" when given the choice by the NHS.

rdave13 18:11 06 May 2018

Use Gmail as it is supposed to be used. Send spam emails to the spam folder and ignore them. Google's spam filters are one of the best in my opinion. Better than removing your account. They will soon fade away.

bumpkin 18:21 06 May 2018

When was that then. I don't agree with opting out of anything as that means your choice is made by default ann possibly without your knowledge. What next, do you get a new car every year unless you opt out.

Archie44 12:14 07 May 2018

I agree with you 100% its getting to complicated

Forum Editor 08:14 08 May 2018

"if I told you of a certain tag I use and you typed it into a browser you will see links to every game site, forum or review that I have ever contributed to."

Well of course I would - you typed it into various websites and Google is an extremely sophisticated search engine. Finding your tag is child's play...and completely harmless. It certainly is not a 'backdoor' as you claim.

As for your remark that "I told them I would not open anything from them because I got fake emails from them even before I was a customer of theirs so how would I know if it was still fake or genuine."

You didn't get any fake emails from the bank - you got them from someone else. They were phishing attempts. If you don't want your bank to email you, just tell them - problem solved.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6 review

Best art and design exhibitions in 2018

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

E3 2018 : dates, conférences de presse, billets et plus