Coming to a pole near you

oresome 13:22 23 Feb 2018

BT have been told to share their poles in order to speed up the roll out of fibre to the home.

Obviously cheaper than laying underground cables, but it will sure look ugly with multiple suppliers potentially spanning cables from the same pole.

click here

Forum Editor 13:46 23 Feb 2018

"Obviously cheaper than laying underground cables"

In areas where there are no BT tunnels, yes.

My part of London doesn't have poles, all the BT cables are in tunnels under the pavements. It's a simple matter to pull cables into them, and there is probably enough room. There's a new green box being installed a few hundred yards from my house - it's twice the size of the previous one, so something is going on.

If you're not sure what goes on inside these boxes, this video might interest you - once you filter out the excruciatingly corny script.

Brumas 13:49 23 Feb 2018

As long as it doesn't end up like this ;o}

click here

Aitchbee 14:12 23 Feb 2018

Thanks for the video FE, brought back memories when I worked with BT as engineer. The technology hasn't changed much in the past 30+ years. [working at cabinets is probably how I done my back and knees in ;o)]

ps. I think there might be some mechanical/stress issues with running long spans of fibre cables overhead, due to weather etc.

oresome 14:53 23 Feb 2018

The BT clucker as we called it certainly brought back memories in that video clip. Customers would often phone us and say they'd got what sounded like hens on their private wire circuit.

It was a BT tech that had put the tracer on the wrong pair and sometimes it took a day or two for us to get it removed. Private wire circuits looked like unused pairs to the BT tech so were fair game to be used for other purposes.

As regards laying new cables in existing ducts, when I worked for a cable TV company we used to use an existing cable as a draw wire to pull the new ones through. With largish ducts, the bottom often filled with sediment over the years which set and encased the cable and it then proved impossible to move. We had limited equipment in those days, i.e. it was run on a shoestring and I've burnt the clutch out on more than one van trying to move underground cables attached to the van bumper.

BT 17:51 23 Feb 2018

Lots of Brownie points for my local Virgin Tech support. I reported a fault on my landline yesterday at 4 pm and the engineer knocked on my door at 11 am this morning to tell me he'd fixed the problem. He said there was a fault on the line and he connected me to a new line to the exchange. Just had to come in to check my phone was now working.

john bunyan 18:27 23 Feb 2018

Coming to a pole near you

I thought you were referring to this OAP home

Pole

morddwyd 19:56 23 Feb 2018

When they introduced fibre to the estate where I lived in Germany they didn't use either poles or tunnels.

They simply shot it through the ground using very powerful bolts of compressed air.

They did about 200 metres an hour. The whole street took half a day, with no disruption at all.

bumpkin 20:20 23 Feb 2018

They did about 200 metres an hour. The whole street took half a day, with no disruption at all.

I would be interested to know how they connected it to the individual buildings with no disruption.

morddwyd 09:03 24 Feb 2018

Apologies.

I've just remembered, it wasn't fibre, it was cable.

oresome 09:12 24 Feb 2018

Back in the day, we had a device for tunneling under roads.

A hole was dug at either side and the device was dropped in one of the holes. It was basically a hydraulic jack with a long handle that pushed forward a bullet, behind which was laid a conduit. It moved forward a couple of feet and then retracted and more conduit added.

The problem was it never appeared at the hole opposite! The bullet hit something hard and was taken off course.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?