cleaning an old metal clasp knife.

Brumas 18:08 20 Aug 2018
Answered

What is the best way to clean an old steel? army clasp knife which I recently bought at a Pop Up Shop in Kelso today?

Googling tells me to soak it in coca cola overnight, amongst many other methods, but I’m a bit apprehensive - have any of you any experience of doing something similar? I don't want it 'museum quality' just cleaner.

It is fortunately not rusty just a little mucky black gunge in places. Thanks in advance.

src

john bunyan 18:24 20 Aug 2018

I would start with very hot soapy water and a soft brush. Then dry and soak in Gunk. Also a soft brush and WD 40 with a cloth to finish. I would not use Coco Cola.

Brumas 21:29 20 Aug 2018

john bunyan, thanks old pal, will do when I have bought some gunk.

carver 07:52 21 Aug 2018

You could just soak it in WD 40 overnight then use a toothbrush to get into crevices. at least with wd 40 you don't have to worry about having to wash it off.

Brumas 13:01 21 Aug 2018

I was going to follow JB's advice but as I had some WD40 handy I followed carver's advice - By Heck, what a transformation, it looks like new.

All I need now is to find out how to put an edge on the blade - I don't want it sharp enough to shave only to cut through string and the likes?

Quickbeam 14:11 21 Aug 2018
Answer

Emery cloth on a flat file will get the Edge back, then a smooth oilstone to fine it.

Brumas 14:48 21 Aug 2018

Quickbeam, will do, thanks.

BT 17:39 21 Aug 2018

I've got a set of these diamond coated sharpening 'stones'. They're actually plastic boards with a metal diamond dust coated plate attached. I've had them for years. I think I bought mine in Lidl. I use them all the time for my Kitchen Knives, scissors, etc. and they are brilliant.

Diamond sharpening stones

wee eddie 17:52 21 Aug 2018

It will be made of an early version of Stainless Steel. Good for repelling rust, bad for keeping a sharp edge on the blade.

As an ex-Boy Scout, I think that I ought to point out that there is no need to buy a special sharpener, almost any stone will do the trick

MPN1A 18:55 21 Aug 2018

I have an identical knife but the date is 1956. I always thought that it was faulty because the blade isn't fully recessed into the handle but I see that your knife is just the same. Good job that I haven't tried to fix it.

bumpkin 22:26 21 Aug 2018

If you have used it be very careful as the tiniest bit of DNA can be found even after cleaning.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs