Citroen's Electronic Gearbox System (EGS)

avesnes1 10:20 01 Dec 2008

Do any members have any experience of this gearbox?

I am contemplating buying a new C4 or a Grand C4 and these models are offered with a conventional gearbox or with this EGS.

I have read a few drivers' comments on the "Whatcar" website but I would be grateful for any further comments, good and bad.

laurie53 10:47 01 Dec 2008

See my response to your other thread.

I am an automatic lover of many years.

I have the EGS and I have absolutely no problems with it.

It is, if you're really looking to nitpick, slightly more hesitant than a conventional auto going up, but after the first day you'd be hard put to notice it.

If you intend to use it manually I doubt if you'll see any difference apart from the clutch, or the lack of it.

I received quite a few cautions from salesmen about how different it was from a "real" auto, but I haven't noticed any.

On a couple of occasions before I bought it I saw a couple parked up with the drivers inside and asked them about the car.

If you get a chance do the same.

I would buy another one tomorrow.

laurie53 10:53 01 Dec 2008

Feel free to yellow envelope me if you have any specific queries.

Quickbeam 11:46 01 Dec 2008

click here & click here It's about time they put some technology into gearbox design giving the economy of manual with the easy of drive of an auto.

Of course there will be some hear that will say "as a proper driver, I need to be in control of my car,". Yeah, yeah, carry on with you're double de-clutching crash boxes at your pleasure... and while your at it sing the virtues of tinkering with your carburettor on a Saturday morning and setting the points every month... I'll stick with the engine management that we have now;)

wiz-king 12:23 01 Dec 2008

Unfortunately it is just tinkering with the shift. it does not do away with the inherently inefficient and costly gear system. Now if they could only develop a new system to replace the clutch, gearbox and drive systems that would be good. Hydradrive perhaps.

peter99co 14:18 01 Dec 2008

The Daf had a gearless box

Quickbeam 14:23 01 Dec 2008

"it is just tinkering with the shift."
As I understand it, it is an automated clutch disengage/engage/gearshift system, which is why they are economical. Commercial trucks are going this way as well. Auto boxes with torque converters are inefficient with the fuel economy.

Quickbeam 14:28 01 Dec 2008

"The Daf had a gearless box" and sounded like an electric motor with the monotonous and constant whine...

laurie53 16:57 01 Dec 2008

Can anyone, apart from me, give avesnes1 some help with his original question, rather than trot out their own tired old prejudices?

gibfish26 18:12 01 Dec 2008

avesnes1
i have the c4 picasso exclusive with this box.i had a test drive in the managing directors picasso because they had no test car available in this model when i went to show room,it was super,but when i took delivery of my car back in april,i found the box was not as smooth and a bit jerky and has a bit of lag,when i took it in for its 1500 mile check i mentioned this to the salesman,he said there is nothing you can do.i-e no adjustments.

schalkl 07:30 06 Nov 2011

I know this thread is very old, but just in case somebody still reads it and considers buying an EGS gearbox - I would strongly advise against it. I have a 2011 C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Hdi with the 6-speed EGS gearbox. I find the gearbox extremely slow to shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd - so slow that people behind me often have to brake in order not to hit me from behind. It also has the most amazing ability to be in the wrong gear - in normal driving in town I always have to manually get the car from 4th to 5th because if left to itself it will stay in 4th forever (even up to 60 km/h). This EGS gearbox is most definitely the most pathetic 'auto" gearbox I have ever experienced. Do yourself a favour an rent one for a week so you can "live" with it for a few days before you buy one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?