The Chinese Have Spies in Our Schools.

morddwyd 09:01 30 Jan 2018

Have you heard the BBC interview with the Director if the CIA?

click here in the NHS and schools, talk about paranoia.

I know they're extending their influence but .......!

Spies

Belatucadrus 09:30 30 Jan 2018

In some ways he has a point, Chinese investment in data control and acquisition reflects their totalitarian system and clear intent to advance what they see as their own interests. No surprise there but the language, it harks back to the days of the "Yellow peril" and "Reds under the bed". Mr Pompeo sounds as if he wants to reintroduce the WW2 internment camp system.

qwbos 12:44 30 Jan 2018

The constant drivel spouting from everybody from Trump down falls into the category of "The lady doth protest too much". They'd be better focussing on their own misdeeds and rectifying them.

reflects their totalitarian system

I saw a cartoon a while back showing Russia apologising to America for having it's borders so close to American military bases. When it comes to attempts at world domination, China's got a long way to go.

Forum Editor 17:49 30 Jan 2018

When it comes to attempts at world domination, China's got a long way to go.

I agree, and in any case I don't think that China is remotely interested in world domination - not of the military kind anyway.

The Chinese people, like people everywhere, want to improve their standard of living. It's not easy, given that they are living in a Communist State but if history teaches one thing it's that in the end the people tend to get their way. The journey may be a long and painful one, but as far as China is concerned it will happen.

In the meantime, nobody needs to worry about spies in our schools - we can't teach China anything about education or medicine that it doesn't already know.

Belatucadrus 20:01 30 Jan 2018

China's got a long way to go.

But not as far as they used to , Chinese military technology is improving in leaps and bounds. The days when they used cheap licensed knock offs of old soviet kit are gone. They are also becoming increasingly bullish over disputed geographical areas such as the Senkaku islands. They''re even building islands to put military bases on. I agree I doubt they're interested in world domination but they do wield an increasingly big and effective stick and clearly intend to be the next big player militarily.

morddwyd 20:20 30 Jan 2018

we can't teach China anything about education or medicine that it doesn't already know.

And have known since we were running around in woad!

qwbos 20:54 30 Jan 2018

Belatucadrus

But not as far as they used to

It'll be a long time, if ever, before China has multiple military bases in every continent and/or multiple battle fleets in every ocean.

Defending what they believe, rightly or wrongly, is part of their own backyard is hardly an indicator of a desire for world domination. Several countries, UK included, claim lumps of rock that are far more distant.

And if you include the much used "areas of interest" tag, there's hardly anywhere in the world that some believe they have a right to interfere in.

They''re even building islands to put military bases on

On their own doorstep, unlike, for example, Diego Garcia, Al Minhad etc etc

morddwyd

There's not much that you can't trace back to the middle and far east, despite the re writing of history to elevate Europe, especially the Greeks and Romans.

Cymro. 11:29 31 Jan 2018

There may be some truth even if you have to look very hard to find it in all this but all in all it is still just paranoia and I for one don't intend to be losing sleep over it. If a week is such a long time in politics imagine what a century can do. Who knows where we will all end up and who will be ruling the world in the future. The only thing I feel confident in is that it will not be the U.K. in charge of anything.

Forum Editor 17:16 31 Jan 2018

"The only thing I feel confident in is that it will not be the U.K. in charge of anything."

I have no idea what you've based that idea on, but in any case it isn't necessary to be in charge of anything to be a successful nation. Our country is legendary for its ability to innovate, and whether or not that continues to be the case is up to us.

It's all about having an open mind, self belief, and a will to succeed.

qwbos 18:19 31 Jan 2018

It's all about having an open mind, self belief, and a will to succeed.

History would suggest it's all about having an aggressive foreign policy, fleets of gunboats and more bigger, better weapons than the people you want to steal stuff from to make your own country rich. That's how empires were created.

Forum Editor 22:43 31 Jan 2018

"History would suggest it's all about having an aggressive foreign policy, fleets of gunboats and more bigger, better weapons than the people you want to steal stuff from to make your own country rich."

If you think about that for a moment, you'll realise that for a tiny country like ours to be able to do what we did it was necessary to have a little more going for it than some gunboats and other weapons.

The Roman Empire didn't come about purely because Italy had some weapons and boats; there was another ingredient. There are numerous instances throughout history of countries with lots of weaponry and aggressive foreign policies trying - and failing - to do the same thing.

It seems to be fashionable these days to express shame about our past, but those who do it seem to be unable to make the mental leap necessary to understand that history has to be viewed in context. What was done then would be unthinkable now, but wringing our hands about our colonial past achieves precisely nothing. What we do in the future is what counts, and as I said earlier, that is entirely in our own hands.

If we want to sit around saying we're finished as a nation with any influence in the world, that is exactly what will happen.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Moto G6 review: Hands-on

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Les meilleurs jeux gratuits pour Mac (2018)